VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neither a Realtek 8019AS nor a 3Com Etherlink III 3C509 board are fully functional in my tandy 1000TL running DOS 6.22.

The Realtek card works fine with packet driver; after installing Microsoft network client 3.0 and installing the NDIS drivers, system hangs at "net initialize" in autoexec.bat. CTRL-ALT-DEL works. I SUSPECT I need to add something to the NDIS config file for my non-standard IO port/IRQ assignment on the card, the only parameters in the INF file are netaddress and adapterid, both of which I've tinkered with.

The 3C509 card is recognized but the configuration utility complains that no IO ports are available on my system, and the packet driver and NDIS driver both report there is no adapter found. I'm not sure the 3C509 adapters are 8-bit compatible, it may only be the 3C509-B cards that are? Works great in my 386SX box.

Reply 4 of 6, by dieymir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenerb wrote:

Neither a Realtek 8019AS nor a 3Com Etherlink III 3C509 board are fully functional in my tandy 1000TL running DOS 6.22.

The Realtek card works fine with packet driver; after installing Microsoft network client 3.0 and installing the NDIS drivers, system hangs at "net initialize" in autoexec.bat. CTRL-ALT-DEL works. I SUSPECT I need to add something to the NDIS config file for my non-standard IO port/IRQ assignment on the card, the only parameters in the INF file are netaddress and adapterid, both of which I've tinkered with.

I had the same problem with RTL8019 NDIS2 drivers and a 286. Works fine with 386s and 486s, though, so I suppose they require a 32 bits processor. A workaround is using the NE2k drivers included with the Network Client itself. Simply configure your IRQ and I/O port and you will be up&running since RT8019 is a NE2k clone.

Reply 5 of 6, by amoerman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not 100% sure what port the built in IDE would use, but as I have no 8bit ide drives I'm using an XTIDE card instead, which is at 300 I believe. I have tried the autoconfigure which gives the no available port message and have also tried doing the setup on my 486. It would be nice if there were a utility that mapped the io ports in use in a system like Checkit does for IRQs. In any event I'm going to keep trying, and if I can't get it going I'm working on getting an 8019 card to try in it.

Reply 6 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just like Windows 3.1x tends to hang on start-up if network drivers are loaded and nothing is connected to the network port, there are DOS drivers that will hang forever if they can't find the network while loading (no "can't find network"-time out)...so did you try when connected to your network?

If you did, ignore.