VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi guys, does any one have experience with MHDD and SCSI disks? I have an Seagate ST34572N disk drive which had some slower sectors in MHDD scan so I decided to issue the SCSIFORMAT command to see will it fix those sectors with an full format. But all it did after it finished is make my disk not respond at all any more. As if it deleted its geometry and capacity information. Windows still sees the disk drive via device manager as disk drive and under its properties as its original name but it has no info on it nor is it visible under disk manager.

Is it possible to recover from this problem?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 5, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No idea but issuing strange ATA/SCSI commands is not a wise idea when you do not know how the disk responds (mainly it should just ignore them). A simple zero fill would have been enough to register the blocks in the disks grown defects list.

Reply 4 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:

Try to format it again via the SCSI adapter's BIOS.

Doesn't that use the same SCSIFormat command?

It could be that the slower sectors were just a symptom of a dying drive, and that trying to format it sent it over the edge...

Reply 5 of 5, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YawetaG that must be the case as it is completely lost. I can not access it nor make partitions, it does not exist as an typical hard drive under my Windows. My SCSI BIOS does not have an format utility and I don't currently have an newer computer with an capable controller card.
I will try to reformat it in an Optiplex GX1 once i get an CPU and an SCSI controller for it.

Will remember to post results.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"