VOGONS

First post, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I posted about my intention to do this awhile ago in some other thread, but the time has come to prepare. With my Extreme PIII build drawing ever closer to its completion and my eyes opened to a world of modding possibilities beyond anything I'd ever done before, I want to create a small form factor build - specifically for ANSI Art. I've been making it for over a decade and I want to bring a bit of that onto my desk in the office. My previous idea has gone out the window in favour of a new idea, which is somewhat irrelevant to this topic and more suited for the eventual build log.

That said - I'd love some hardware suggestions. I'm not looking to spend much money because my last project was a wallet killer.

It will only be running TheDraw/ACiDDraw/ACiDView and some custom software in DOS, and then Windows 95 for some other tasks AT MOST.

No 3D acceleration required. Performance requirements are minimum. Era accuracy is not important but would be a nice bonus. Stability IS important. Image quality IS important.

So I've narrowed it down to a few options and wanted opinions from you guys.

Socket 370 MATX
Pros

• Most retro.
  • Fairly easy to obtain a board and already have memory/CPU available.
  • Can use an IDE to CF adapter and not worry about hard drives.
  • Know exactly what I'm getting myself into - well tested, stable platform.

Cons

• Largest option.
  • Can be expensive. Lots of people overcharge on S370 boards.
  • Often has awkward ATX/IDE placement, which makes it challenging to cable manage neatly in a restricted space with limited airflow.

Socket 775 ITX
Pros

• Boards, CPUs and memory are plentiful and cheap.
  • Easy to power without shenanigans.
  • Small form factor.
  • Easy to cable manage.
  • Know exactly what I'm getting myself into - well tested, stable platform.

Cons

• A lot less retro.
  • Most are SATA only, which sucks for cheap and quiet storage solutions so it's likely a hard drive.
  • Don't know how well it runs on DOS/Win95 - never tried and don't have anything to test with.

VIA C3 ITX
Pros

• Still pretty retro.
  • Decently cheap overseas
  • Small form factor.
  • External power, which means I can fit it inside really small ITX cases.
  • All-in-one solution.

Cons

• Not very easy to find locally.
  • Never used one, so I don't know what to expect.
  • Not sure how good LCD panel compatibility is with onboard graphics - Some have PCI slots so I can get a good VGA card, but that negates SFF benefit.

Additionally:

Does anyone know which VGA cards work well on both a CRT and LCD panel for DOS and Windows?

Look forward to hearing any suggestions on the plan, or anything I totally looked over and should check out hardware wise.

Cheers guys.

Reply 1 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could I suggest Socket 479, the Pentium M platform? I have seen lots of itx boards based around that. You should be able to find one with SATA and ide along with models that are pci or pcie. Think of the Pentium M as a hopped up P3. Matrox is my first thought for image quality 😀

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 3 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jade Falcon wrote:

How does only having sata make your drive options loud and costly

This. SSDs are silent AND can be had for pretty cheap.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
x0zm_ wrote:

Does anyone know which VGA cards work well on both a CRT and LCD panel for DOS and Windows?

Unless you are getting into exotic CRTs with strange refresh rates, I see no reason to be picky here.

Reply 5 of 8, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Could I suggest Socket 479, the Pentium M platform? I have seen lots of itx boards based around that. You should be able to find one with SATA and ide along with models that are pci or pcie. Think of the Pentium M as a hopped up P3. Matrox is my first thought for image quality 😀

I forgot all about S479! Looks like it could be a top contender. Just went for a quick look on eBay/Aliexpress and there seem to be at least a few. Some of them having IDE is great too. And yeah, Matrox is what I'll likely go with if I can get one for the right price.

cyclone3d wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

How does only having sata make your drive options loud and costly

This. SSDs are silent AND can be had for pretty cheap.

Well, it's more a matter of size and proportional price. I'm trying to keep the footprint as small as I can, and using IDE w/ Compact Flash means I don't have to spend a cent since I already have it all. A used SSD locally could cost me about 3/4 the price of the rest of the hardware. I have some SATA HDDs as well, but that is where the size / noise "problem" is. It's the largest and noisiest of my options, so it's a last resort I'll take if I have to, but would prefer not to.

Jorpho wrote:

Unless you are getting into exotic CRTs with strange refresh rates, I see no reason to be picky here.

Well I'm not too worried about the CRT side. It's just the LCD side as it may be plugged into some new, higher end panels. No idea how older cards work on those. If it doesn't work, that's just life. 🤣

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys, appreciate it. 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

I agree with ODwilly, desktop pentium M's are very good, run very cool and have decent chipset's.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 7 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try a Matrox G450 or G550(500?) I can't remember which. There should be a pci version. And a pcie version for the later version

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 8, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote:

Try a Matrox G450 or G550(500?) I can't remember which. There should be a pci version. And a pcie version for the later version

Got my eye on a G450 with VGA/DVI output now. Cheers.