VOGONS

First post, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up what I thought was a 386sx today because the guy in charge of the computing part of the junk shop swore it was one, turns out to be a 486-100. Which isn't too bad because I want a second 486, but it's much more limited than my compaq proprietary 486. For starters its' ide cable connects to an isa ide controller, and the bios only lets you select up to a type 47-ish drive. Was hoping to use an ide-sd card adapter but I can't auto-detect the drive, it needs the cylinder and head info, and I'm guessing it will only support up to 512mb. I unhooked the hard drive that came with it, which ripped off the socket part of the ide cable and bent the pins on the hard drive! Managed to bend them back but I'm starting to think if I can only transfer things by floppy, or swapping out the ancient hard drive that could die any second, to an enclosure I might be better off just returning it.

Reply 1 of 7, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not a limitation of the IDE I/O card, but that of your BIOS.
You can overcome this problem by either using Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) software or, use the "XT-IDE BIOS on a network card" solution.
If you go with the latter, then you just select "NONE" in your standard CMOS setup (on your motherboard's BIOS) and let the XT-IDE BIOS take over that function.

EDIT: Here's a link to how to install DDO software: EZ-Drive Dynamic Drive Overlay
And here's a link to a post that goes more into how to install the XT-IDE BIOS onto a LAN card with a Boot ROM socket: Re: Large IDE drives on 286/AT/ISA class machines

I recently tried out the second option on an old 16-bit LAN card of mine and it works great.

Last edited by jesolo on 2017-06-09, 19:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have to set the drive parameters in one of my 486's to use a CF card, Auto detect is close but corrupts data after a while.
As long as you can find a working combination then your good to go.

If your not in love with it, You may be able to sell it for a profit, 486's demand high prices.

Reply 7 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Without software to raise the limited the typical limit is 512mb but some boards thanks to having a late bios will take up to 8gb.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.