VOGONS

First post, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Few years ago I got free laptop from my friend - Dell Latitude CPt. That poor thing was dropped down the stairs and it looked like it went through hell and back. All plastics broken, display broken, harddrive almost dead, battery dead, even display hinges was snapped in half. The only thing working was the mainboard and floppy drive. Well, I tossed it to corner and started looking for case donor. About year later I found one untested with all the plastics untouched, looked like brand new, display was OK, had no charger and cost about 12 bucks. It was Dell Latitude CPx with better CPU (sadly, not interchangeable, even though it fits the stupid socket).
P_20170702_220318_zps3m0xcxvk.jpg

After powerup I found out that memory slot B or stuff conected to it was dead - no matter what stick I put there, memtest looked like this:
P_20170702_222256_zpsxhpbxjjf.jpg
And this is test with known good memory stick.
Long story short, I transplanted the good motherboard to the good case and installed Windows XP on it. It was performing crazy good, I still can't get how great it was, I was using internet on it like on modern PC. On top of that, the "new" battery lasted for 4 hours. I loaded it with drivers for my old LPT printer which had new cartridges I got for free so I wanted to use them up. Shortly after I bought Wifi PCMCIA card, worked greately aswell. I even found carrying bag for it. But one day I went to print some stuff and the laptop didn't come on. When I press the power button, all lights (except HDD light) come on and after four or five seconds turns off. Nothing more, nothing less.
When I think about it, problems were showing for long time before - first when charging the LED was glowing orange, when suddenly it started glowing green when charging. Then half of the keyboard stopped working. And lastly this.

So, now I have two laptops. One somehow works:
P_20170702_221251_zpslvzzmjbf.jpg
and the second one is dead as rock. I tried to swap CPUs, powerboards, no luck. Even tested the PSU, no problem there.

P_20170702_224308_zpsuebzf8rt.jpg

What I need? Well, Dell removed all of their old laptop manuals from their website so I can't find which model has the best CPU - if I buy another one, I won't buy low-end.
Something like this would be super crazy good http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-CPX-14- … 1kAAOSwTM5YtKcv - costs only 10 bucks, works and has 500 MHz P3. But I can't buy it because shipping from US to CZ is freakin' 65 US dollars. If there was way to ship something over the sea for less money...

Then there are things like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-CPt-C-M … v4AAOSw-jhUGapb. Price is good, shipping is good, but it is 333 MHz - the lowest from the lowest. And then there are exact ones I need, but they cost 475 dollars. Yes, flippin' 475 bucks. I wonder how many of them was sold since it was added to eshop...

I am now stuck, I can't print, I can't move stuff to ZIP discs and I am very sad because I developed feelings for that damned thing.

Reply 1 of 2, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
krivulak wrote:

What I need? Well, Dell removed all of their old laptop manuals from their website so I can't find which model has the best CPU - if I buy another one, I won't buy low-end.

Are you sure? Both the User and Service Manuals can be found on this link pulled from a quick Google search : http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/pro … e-cpx-h/manuals

As for the best CPU configuration: AFAIK the Dell Latitude CPx came with a Pentium III @ 500-650 MHz in MMC-2 form factor judging by the CPU connector shown in your picture, the Latitude CPt seems to mainly use Celeron processors (available at 266-700 MHz for MMC2).

To widen the possibility to finding a replacement CPU board, I'd do an eBay search for "Intel MMC2" and see what you find, just to clarify: which laptop are you hoping to get running the most? the CPx or the CPt?

Reply 2 of 2, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, neither of them is working, but I was having fun with the CPt, the CPx was only the parts one (had the bad memory issue). I don't even have the CPt badge on lid because it was so scuffed it was not usable. And I need to buy "new" motherboard, so basically it doesn't matter too much to me what model is the mainboard inside.

And yeah, I later found the manual, but it was just how to disassemble it which I already knew. But what I know is that when I tried to run the CPU from CPt (cannot remember what processor it is) in CPx, the machine didn't turn on. I read before that they are not interchangeable, this verifies it, at least I think.