VOGONS

First post, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys,

just a quick question. Can anybody tell me why udvd2.sys won't detect my SATA DVD-ROM?

I am using a SIL3512 based SATA Controller as PCI Add-in card.

My main system (Core i5) has a SATA controller integrated in chipset and it works flawlessly with udvd2.sys.

EDIT: The controller is running in IDE mode. (Flashed the IDE BIOS) The DVD-ROM works fine under WIndows 98 for example, though not under DOS.

Thanks for any insight

locutus

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 1 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried VIDE-CDD.SYS or any other ATAPI drivers? IDE mode and the BIOS extension segment should expose ATA/ATAPI instructions to DOS without any SATA specific software. You can also try GCDROM.SYS which is SATA specific.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 3, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey

thanks for your answer. I have tried all of the drivers you mentioned without any luck. They're not crashing or anything, they just don't find an ATAPI device and thus don't load.

I suspect that the SIL3512 hooks the int13h BIOS routine to provide hard disk specific functions for drive C: but doesn't "emulate" a real IDE controller.

The NSSI tool (a diagnostics system info tool for DOS) for example does not detect any IDE drivers. Instead it lists the main drive under "Non-IDE".

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 3 of 3, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Locutus wrote:

I suspect that the SIL3512 hooks the int13h BIOS routine to provide hard disk specific functions for drive C: but doesn't "emulate" a real IDE controller.

The NSSI tool (a diagnostics system info tool for DOS) for example does not detect any IDE drivers. Instead it lists the main drive under "Non-IDE".

here is possible three modes for disk subsystem:

Legacy IDE - up to 4 disks on 2 IDE controllers on irq 14/15 with addresses 1f0/170. also possible very rare config with more 4 disks on tertiary/quaternary controllers on ports 1e8/168. all ports in ISA i/o address space, so this must work with any drivers. good bioses also emulate this for sata.

Native SATA - unlimited number sata controllers on any irq with any addresses, a-la FF80. ports outside ISA i/o address space, so need rewrite drivers for scan upper i/o space, but commands for access to disk is not changed. poor bioses leave sata in this mode. uide/xide/xhdd/xdvd can help only with this issue.

RAID, AHCI and NVME - have nothing good for any OS. fully different protocols. incompatible. need special driver. Skylike and Ryzen platforms. Intel was release AHCI driver for CD/DVD-ROM under DOS - AHCI.SYS. its all.