VOGONS

First post, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is: there is no a group of jumpers combination available for the details voltage regulation on my motherboard, just a single 3 pins with only 1 jumper. And a simple kind of specification mentioned on its manual:

Microprocessor Voltage (J5K1)
This jumper block changes the output of the on-board voltage regulator. Pins 1-2 should be jumpered for processors that require the VRE specification. Pins 2-3 should be jumpered processors that require standard voltage regulation. Some upgrade processors might require a different setting. Check the processor's documentation for the correct setting. Refer to the Pentium Processor Specification Update to determine the voltage requirements for the processor you are using.

My CPU on that rig is a Pentium 100Mhz with VRE setting on the voltage jumper, and I wanna replace it with a Pentium MMX 133mhz or 166mhz to build up a powerful 3-in-1 DOS rig, but I've got no idea about whether the jumper should be jumped into VRE or standard voltage....

So what is VRE? Is VRE supported by P-MMX 133/166 or not? Jumper should be placed as standard voltage or VRE voltage for P-MMX series CPU?

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!

Reply 1 of 3, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VRE was 3.52V instead of 3.3V iirc?
It was basically a slightly higher (single rail thingy) voltage, from before split voltage became the standard.
Iirc a few CPUs used this, including the Intel Pentium 200 non-MMX and perhaps a couple very early Cyrix's or Winchips or so.

If your CPU requires 3.52V, it will require VRE voltage. It should be basically exactly the same, except that for 3.3v it will want 3.52v.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 3, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't sound compatible with MMX, which needs a separate 3.3V I/O and 2.8V core - except the MMX overdrive which is single 3.3V

Reply 3 of 3, by Saotome Ranma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the help, I think I'm gonna use "standard voltage" to try it...

Wish me a good luck anyway... 🤣

The NOOB of noobs!!

Retro Games & Hardware サイコウ!