VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Dell Latitude D430 here with a Core 2 Duo on an Intel 945GMS chipset. It's fully 64-bit, takes DDR2, and has Intel GMA graphics onboard.

I also have an Inspiron 600m (aka Latitude D600) with a 32-bit, non-PAE Pentium M on an Intel 855PM chipset. It takes DDR1 and has a Radeon 9000-based GPU with discrete video RAM.

Both these laptops have "Powered by Intel Centrino!" stickers prominently on the palmrests. And while I know that was the marketing name for Intel's mobile platform, as far as I can tell they're completely different architectures.

What does Centrino even mean?? 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 5, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Centrino is a platform composed of an intel processor, intel chipset and intel wi-fi. Pentium M is 1st gen centrino, Core is 2nd gen and so on.

Reply 2 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They tried to pull the same marketing bullshit with their vPro platform. So, any time someone touts that, you know to ignore it.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 5, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Basically Centrino is a "platform" made up by Intel marketing team to promote sells of their awful wifi cards (Intel makes many good things, but wifi cards are not amongst them 🤣); it's pure marketing crap.

Reply 4 of 5, by MERCURY127

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

What does Centrino even mean??

brand, trademark, copyright...
nothing more 🤣

Reply 5 of 5, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Marketing works best when you also have a great product, the pentium M is one of Intels best ever line of processors.