VOGONS

First post, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back in the 90s , i traveled to miami and i was able to grab one of those kits that were very common during that era.
The kits came with a soundcard, a dvd drive, and i think they came with pc speakers too. Plus some games like battle chess.

The soundcard was mediavision, the cd i belive it was a sony if i remember correctly.

No clue on what the mediavision soundcard model was, as 20 years have passed.
I remember the company provided a manual with a printed fault, the manual gave you specifications on how to edit the autoexec.bat and i think they printed badly a dash "/" where it was supposed to be a "\".

Took months to figure it out, and make it work. We thought the hardware was bad.

but, from what i remember the sound was great. Played a shitload of DOS games, i guess i never had a soundblaster to compare how bad it really was?

Reply 1 of 3, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Media vision had some really good sound cards (Pro Audio Spectrum) and some really bad ones (Like Jazz 16). When not into compatibility but sound quality Sound Blaster cards were pretty noisy (Not as noisy as some YMF718 Cards), where Turtle Beach sound cards were almost crystal clear (Except Tropez 32)

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 3, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it was a PAS16 (which I think is most likely for a CD-ROM kit, and I think it's also their most popular card), then yes it should have been a very good card. They had excellent sound quality, unlike the real Sound Blasters back then.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pabloz wrote:

The soundcard was mediavision, the cd i belive it was a sony if i remember correctly.

Did it look similar to this Sony drive (CDR-H93MV) : What type of CD drive is this? ? 😕

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//