VOGONS

First post, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure whether I should use serial mice or PS/2 mice on my retro rig. The rig lacks PS/2 ports and I have a PS/2 to serial adaptor, however I'm not sure whether that works or not. I could buy a serial mouse just to be safe as well as to be period accurate (~1992-ish). What should I do?

Reply 1 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try your ps/2 mouse and adapter first. Serial mice have nothing special about them. .

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 7, by Andy1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
harddrivespin wrote:

Not sure whether I should use serial mice or PS/2 mice on my retro rig. The rig lacks PS/2 ports and I have a PS/2 to serial adaptor, however I'm not sure whether that works or not. I could buy a serial mouse just to be safe as well as to be period accurate (~1992-ish). What should I do?

If your PS/2 mouse doesn't work with the adaptor then you will need to buy a serial mouse. I got mine new and boxed for about GBP10, including postage, on eBay.

Not all PS/2 mice work with those adaptors - my Intellimouse with scroll wheel from c1998 didn't, and neither did an older Logitech PS/2 mouse.

My Retro systems:
1. Pentium 200, 64mb EDO RAM, Matrox Millennium 2mb, 3DFX Voodoo 4mb, DOS6.22 / Win95 / Win98SE
2. Compaq Armada M700 laptop, PIII-450, Win98SE
3. Core2Duo E6600, ATI Radeon 4850, Win XP

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

tayyare is right, it shouldn't hurt to give it a try. Even original, period-correct "MS Mouse" mice shipped with serial-ps/2 adapters.
At least the models from the 90s onwards, if I rememeber correctly. My dad had such a mouse in '95 or so.

Edit: Andy1979 is also right. Some more recent models don't work with these adapters anymore.
That's because the simple adapters are just doing mechnanical conversion. The protocols (ps/2,USB,serial) are
processed by the mouse itself. Except for modern mice adapters, which do contain a tiny ps/2-USB converter chip.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually suggest a serial mouse, just for the simple reason that if you buy a serial mouse you can use it on all IBM PC compatible machines ever made. Even brand new Ryzen boards coming off the line can still have support for them, even if it's through a card.

There are also occasional cases where programs will demand a serial mouse, and refuse to work with anything else. The cases are somewhat limited, but they do most certainly exist.

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Mouse also needs to support the serial protocol for the adaptor to work. Most don't and anything that does probably has a direct serial version anyway.
So may as well just use a serial mouse anyway

Not so fun fact, USB mice are starting to drop PS2 backward compatibility so USB to PS2 adaptors wont be guaranteed to work down the track either

Reply 6 of 7, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Not so fun fact, USB mice are starting to drop PS2 backward compatibility so USB to PS2 adaptors wont be guaranteed to work down the track either

Maybe it's time for a little USB-to-PS/2 mouse converter project 😀

Reply 7 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not so important as this, I think. Optical mouse support is more important, and PS/2 optical mice are still available.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder