s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
37.94 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I had bought this guy off E-bay since the Dell XPS case I'm using has no PC Speaker cone and the one from my LianLi case has different connectors -- plus I wanted to keep it with that case.

To my surprise, the volume was really quiet! I thought it must be because it is 0.25w so I went ahead and bought this...

s-l12600.jpg
Filename
s-l12600.jpg
File size
174.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But the volume is still very low. When I tested a simple piezo speaker that comes with motherboards nowadays for simple POST beeps it was noticeably louder. Am I missing something? My Lian Li case has really awesome PC Speaker sound.

Reply 2 of 14, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does your sound card have a PC speaker header on it? I've noticed a few of mine do, though I've never tried them. May be worth trying if you aren't getting the output you want from the board. Only option I can think of outside of making an amplifier.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 3 of 14, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TOBOR wrote:

Might be that your speaker header output on the mobo likes 32 ohm or larger speaker impedences rather than 8 ohms.

That seems unusual, no?

BeginnerGuy wrote:

Does your sound card have a PC speaker header on it? I've noticed a few of mine do, though I've never tried them. May be worth trying if you aren't getting the output you want from the board. Only option I can think of outside of making an amplifier.

I know one of them does -- I have an AWE64 and SB Pro 2.0 in there.

Reply 4 of 14, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How and where are you mounting the speaker on the case? A bare speaker sounds very quiet without some sort of box to create resonance and amplify the sound. Usually the PC case itself does the job quite nicely but the speaker cone should be facing the outside instead of just hanging around inside like any other component.

I suggest putting together a small cardboard box for the speaker to go into and boost the sound a bit.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 5 of 14, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
infiniteclouds wrote:
That seems unusual, no? […]
Show full quote
TOBOR wrote:

Might be that your speaker header output on the mobo likes 32 ohm or larger speaker impedences rather than 8 ohms.

That seems unusual, no?

BeginnerGuy wrote:

I know one of them does -- I have an AWE64 and SB Pro 2.0 in there.

Not unusual at all really. Most mobos including OEMs are designed to feed a 16 to 32 ohms speaker or squeaker (tiny buzzer) from the headers because that means less current pull witch can mean smaller size transistors being used.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 6 of 14, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was able to route the PC Speaker to the AWE64 and have it come through my studio monitors. It's just not as good though 🙁

I guess I shouldn't be surprised a Slot 1 era motherboard doesn't properly support one of these classic IBM speaker cones.

Reply 8 of 14, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
okenido wrote:

You could use a small $10 amplifier card (more Watts), or get a more efficient speaker (which means more SPL for the same power delivered by the motehrboard)

Haven't found either of these -- then again I may not know what I am looking for. All of the speaker cones wired for motherboard input that I found were like the ones in my original post.

Reply 9 of 14, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes there are only uber cheap speakers like those found on toys. You'll need more hifi small (3 inch) full range drivers for efficiency, but It's not retro and maybe not as worth as simply getting one of those small amplifier boards ( http://www.dx.com/p/gf-007-mini-digital-audio … rd-green-218365 ). check the motherboard output level so you decide if a resistor is needed before feeding the signal into the amp

Reply 10 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Piezo speakers are of high impedance (~ 1K ohms ?).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectric_speaker

If the source wasn't TTL, I would try to put something like a
little audio (AF) transformer (1:10 or 10:1 ratio ?) inbetween.

Alternatively, I would use a photocoupler and a little one-transistor amp.
This would require an additional power source, though.

Hmm.. Tricky. Wasn't the PC-Speaker directly connected to the system timer ?

Or what about using another high-impedance speaker ? My old AKG Monitor (head phones) had 600 Ohms.
Maybe there are other dynamic speakers with a similar impedance ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
.legaCy wrote:

Well it isnt hard create a class ab amp for this purpose.

This, I made a few amps myself. its not that hard if you know what your doing or have a kit/plans.

Reply 13 of 14, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

This, I made a few amps myself. its not that hard if you know what your doing or have a kit/plans.

okenido wrote:

check the motherboard output level

I don't know what sort of tool(s) I'd need to to even start by checking that. I'm not even sure what to google for the amp route!

Reply 14 of 14, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Piezo speakers are of high impedance (~ 1K ohms ?).

My guess is that this is what the motherboard is expecting -- a piezo speaker. I stand to be corrected, but I think it is really only older (<=386) boards that would expect/accept an 8-ohm speaker?