VOGONS

First post, by HYRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!
I was wondering if I could use dual slot1 440BX motherboard to run Pentium II CPU and than switch it off in BIOS and run second CPU which would be Pentium III.

PII CPU has unlocked multiplier and I could use it for older games and If I would like to play a bit newer games I would use PIII CPU if that's possible?

Or if it is not possible, than what other solution woud You sugest?

Reply 2 of 14, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I recall, I have a PC set up like that, one CPU being a Pentium III 550E and the other a Pentium II 450.
This is on a Gigabyte GA-6BXDS motherboard.
But, in my case, there is no option to switch off the one.
The motherboard detects both CPU's on start up (you can swop them out but, this would be impractical).

Also bear in mind that older operating systems like DOS, Windows 9x and Windows XP Home will only "see" the first CPU.

Reply 4 of 14, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HYRO wrote:

So You can't choose which cpu is seen in dos or win98?

No, it will always see the primary CPU.
Neither operating system support dual CPU's.

Reply 6 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HYRO wrote:

So You can't choose which cpu is seen in dos or win98?

No, at least not with a conventional dual processor system.

The only situation I can see this working in is in a machine with add-in processor boards that can "take over" the resources usually used by the main processor, or that are actually add-in single-board computers to which the system's BIOS can hand control. These will either be proprietary professional systems, or certain vintage consumer systems (e.g. Amstrad Mega PC (actually two systems in one case)). In both cases you'll be limited in what software can be used, and specific drivers and OS versions may be required.

Reply 7 of 14, by HYRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok amd what about the motherboard with slot1 and pga370 on board? In the manual you can find that you can not use booth cpus but does it mean there can be only one cpu installed?

Reply 8 of 14, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HYRO wrote:

Ok amd what about the motherboard with slot1 and pga370 on board? In the manual you can find that you can not use booth cpus but does it mean there can be only one cpu installed?

Don't know. It depends on how it selects which CPU to use.

Reply 9 of 14, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HYRO wrote:

From the boards I have seen, you can not install 2 CPUs at once in those Boards. They are not Multiprocessor boards, but single processor boards that support 2 socket formats to allow upgrading.

Reply 10 of 14, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mean, in theory you could create a Slot 1 switch. It would really only need to be a passive switch that swaps out the connectors for each CPU. This would work for single slot boards as well.

Reply 11 of 14, by HYRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I've been thinking about that, but it would be a lot of work to solder 2 cpu slots it to the switch and from the switch to motherboard... and what kind of switch would have so many pins?

Reply 12 of 14, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HYRO wrote:

many of these boards have both slot and socket to make easier to the user to update processors without slotkets.
If you put both processors the board would not turn on.

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 13 of 14, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Boards that have both a slot-1 and socket-370 only intend one such CPU to be installed, so I doubt they would cooperate with what you're trying to do.
Assuming you could convince it to work, there's also an electrical problem. These type of boards probably only have a single VRM which is routed to both sockets. So you'd be limited to using processors that can run at the same voltage. If they are both drawing power at the same time, you'd also have to look at the combined current draw.
The requirement to have matched voltages would prevent you from safely using a combo like you suggested - a 2.8V Klamath alongside a ~1.7v Coppermine. The Deschutes P2s run at 2.0V, which a Coppermine *might* tolerate (I don't know), but I don't think many Deschutes are unlocked (if any). So basically, I think the single voltage limitation would really kill this idea.

--
I believe that dual Slot-1 boards generally have a separate voltage regulator for each socket, so they should get along with having different voltages for each CPU. This is definitely something to verify for a specific board though.
These boards typically have a BIOS option to enable only one CPU, but I've never seen one that lets you control which CPU it uses. I'd be surprised if there are any that let you manually make that choice.

==============
I think the most feasible way to pull this off would be by modifying a dual slot-1 board.
It would need to be a board that will happily boot a single CPU from either CPU socket. You'd probably also want it to tolerate mismatched CPUs in dual mode. Some of them are tolerant of these things, and some are picky.
With such a board, you'd then need to find some way to modify it so that you can disable either of the CPUs from being detected. I'm not sure what the simplest way to do that would be.

One method might be to intercept the VID pins (I think there's 5 of them). Route them through a switch so that you can disconnect these pins from being detected by the associated VRM. When the VRM sees all those signals as floating, it should interpret this as no CPU present and disable power to that CPU. Presumably, then, this would leave the system booting with the other CPU as a single.
There might be a simpler way involving just 1 or 2 pins. Some investigation into Intel datasheets would be needed.
You might not even need to intercept CPU pins. Maybe intercepting something upstream at the voltage regulator IC would also work.

Configure the BIOS to run in single CPU mode. Use the switch on the "primary" CPU that the system normally defaults to. When that CPU is switched on, it will have precedence. When it's switched off, the other CPU will become the one that boots.

This is speculation of course, and I may easily be overlooking something.

Reply 14 of 14, by HYRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank You all for the answers, I've lern something new.

shamino, Your idea with VID pins might be usefull, I have to think about it, but in the meantime I will wait, maybe some one will have some easier idea.