VOGONS

First post, by Thohean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all! I was shopping around on ebay for vintage hardware, like you do, and came across a listing for new in box Intel SE440BX-2 754558-303. I have an early version of this board that only suppose up to 500MHz P3, which is perfectly fine. I run a 350MHz P2 for dos games, so it's not like I needed the upgrade, but I just couldn't pass on a NEW one of these boards. I figured if my current board should ever die, I'd have a drop in replacement. I've had this board for like 15 years; some of that it wasn't stored properly. The board is a later version that supports up to 850MHz P3 100MHz FSB, so that's nice, too.

I wanted to let others know that it's available. The seller only has 3 left. It had 4 for several days until I bought mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391915032722

I'll update as soon as I get it to let everyone know if it really is new and in the box as the listing indicates it's supposed to be.

Reply 1 of 3, by Thohean

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got the board in today and it's exactly as the listing describes. It's new in the box and still sealed! The box is in excellent shape. So if you are looking for a new slot 1 motherboard able to take all the pentium offerings or a collector, this item fits the bill for both.

Now the dilemma:

Should I open my nice, new, sealed box knowing that if I do, I reduce the number of nice, new, sealed box in the world by one and also knowing that there will never be anymore made and that one day there will be a time that there will never be a nice, new, sealed box in the entire world and I helped contribute to that scenario...........

Or do I open it up, use it and enjoy it knowing it's never been used or abused.

I always cringe when I see youtube videos of people opening NOS items and treating them like they can go out to the store and buy as many as they want.

Reply 2 of 3, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It seems like that (or a similar) Ebay listing somehow "restocks" and reappears with more boards from time to time. No idea where they get them from. I purchased one a few months ago for my Katmai PIII box with good results. (Yes, I opened the box......)

One correction (?), though: the only AA revision of the boards that get shipped is probably 754558-304 (the latest revision), not -303. Mine is a -304, at least.

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How many of these things did Intel make? Still better having 100's of decent motherboards on the market then 100's of rubbish no one wants.
Way I see it is you have 2 options. Helped by the fact that really your not getting any benefit from the actual "upgrade"
Keep it boxed, value will only go up, and you don't really have a use for it yet.
But if your never going to sell it on, Open it, use it, enjoy it. battery and caps are slowly dying with age. You can find out now if its DOA or not. Even if its only for a moment then put back in its box as a backup