VOGONS

First post, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help identify a 486 motherboard that's recently come into my possession. From the BIOS ID, I can see that it is most likely a board manufactured by Mustek, but that's as far as it goes for me.

Some questions I have in addition to general ones about a manual / jumper config, etc:

1. Is that Low Insertion Force socket for the CPU? Forgive my ignorance, but is the CPU actually removable?
  • Where the heck is the CMOS battery on this thing?
  • There's an empty IC socket on the back edge of the board behind the ISA slots. I initially thought someone had removed one of those DS128 RTC batteries, but the board does seem to work and remember the CMOS settings.

The BIOS ID is 40-0215-001241-00101111-040493-ALI1429

Here is a picture of the board:

https://i.imgur.com/rK7flhj.jpg

And some pictures taken at startup:

https://i.imgur.com/wIVSZyJ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ZXtN5xe.jpg

Reply 1 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something.

Okay I'm kidding.
You can definitely remove CPUs from LIF sockets, just that it's going to be much harder

Simple answer : there's none. And I'm pretty sure the empty socket is for a dallas battery chip or something like that. Or the battery is just supposed to be right under the keyboard connector. Or both ? If it's actually storing CMOS infos, I'm pretty sure that if you stop it and wait for an hour or two, the settings will be gone.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 8, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What does the FCC ID tell you?
FWIW the board uses AV9107-03 clock generator which can produce bus speeds ranging from 2MHz to 100MHz.

Attachments

• AV9107-03.png
    Filename
    AV9107-03.png
    File size
    49.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And I'm pretty sure the empty socket is for a dallas battery chip or something like that

My suspicion as well, however I think it's the wrong amount of pins. I need to check that again though as I can't quite remember. I have a DS12287+ in one of my other boards I can try out.

What does the FCC ID tell you?

Not much sadly. It just leads me back to defunct links for Mustek.

FWIW the board uses AV9107-03 clock generator which can produce bus speeds ranging from 2MHz to 100MHz.

Thanks for this bit of info. For my own personal education, could you tell me how you know that table is applicable to this motherboard?

Reply 4 of 8, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I noticed something printed on the motherboard between the 8-bit slot and the 16-bit slot (SXCP...). Mustek used to in the past use rebranded motherboards from other manufacturers.
You might be able to identify your motherboard here: http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/#1

It's possible that the original owner desoldered the barrel battery (which would have been next to the keyboard connector).
Normally, motherboards like these, had an external battery connector as well

Based on your motherboard, I would say that this one only supports 5V CPU's.

PS: Where are you based?

Reply 5 of 8, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed something printed on the motherboard between the 8-bit slot and the 16-bit slot (SXCP...)

I should have included that in my original post. It says SXCPCB87002, which is unfortunately another dead end.

The FCC ID is GP-M7486VL, which brings you here: https://fccid.io/GPT (which doesn't say much beyond that it's for a Mustek "mini-tower computer".)

You might be able to identify your motherboard here:

That's an amazing resource, thank you. I'll trawl through that to see if I spot anything.

PS: Where are you based?

Scotland!

Reply 6 of 8, by pcrob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote:

It's possible that the original owner desoldered the barrel battery (which would have been next to the keyboard connector).

Possible, although the pads on the motherboard there are super clean. What would be the best way to restore the battery?

Reply 7 of 8, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pcrob wrote:

What would be the best way to restore the battery?

There should be an external battery connector — I think it's the four pins above the Jetkey chip (what's a "keyboard BIOS", I wonder? And how can it be "the fastest"?). You can get an external battery holder that connects there and accepts regular AA accumulators (since this board probably used a recharging CMOS battery, don't try using regular AA batteries — they will overheat quickly).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 8 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or buy a super capacitor and put it in the battery spot, it'll work great as well 😉

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative