Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19840 of 53026, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scraphoarder wrote:

Got a some sound cards. 5 Compaq branded ES 1869F with onboard wavetable and a new Aopen card with Yamaha chip.

Soundcards-lot.jpg

Oh nice.. You plan to keep all of these, or possibly resell a couple?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19841 of 53026, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
Scraphoarder wrote:

Got a some sound cards. 5 Compaq branded ES 1869F with onboard wavetable and a new Aopen card with Yamaha chip.

Soundcards-lot.jpg

Oh nice.. You plan to keep all of these, or possibly resell a couple?

I dont know yet. Probably never will have any use for all, but i like to have spares if some dies. Got the Compaq cards on an offer i made.

Reply 19842 of 53026, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a really nice case today:

2017-11-01 01.37.27.jpg
Filename
2017-11-01 01.37.27.jpg
File size
2.65 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I generally prefer desktop cases, but I always liked this particular design — sans the faux 3.5" floppy drive (I think it's silly, why would anyone do something like this?). I kind of hoped that I'll find a 386 of some kind inside, though. I know, a 40x CD-RW drive is a good sign that the system was upgraded, but I have actually seen 386DX40 systems even with 52x CD drives before — and I don't know what people actually did with them. Anyways, this system was heavily upgraded by its owner:

2017-11-01 01.38.11.jpg
Filename
2017-11-01 01.38.11.jpg
File size
3.51 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's a Gigabyte GA-586TX2 motherboard, with a Matrox Millenium videocard, a boxed Socket 7 Pentium of some kind and some cheap Realtek-based NIC. No sound, unfortunately. Well, it's a disappointment (no 386), but still a nice board. And 8 bucks for this case isn't bad, either, methinks. I think I'll eventually rebuild it around some of the 386 hardware that I have.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 19843 of 53026, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this for 60€ today :

f6N0toAl.jpg

8P6XztQl.jpg

A 12MHz 286 with ... an EGA monitor ! sweet ! And that monitor supports anything older than VGA (and even VGA I guess since a sticker on the back says that it supports "PS/2")

Inside of it there's a 40MB MFM HDD
bkUq5fUl.jpg

as well as this EGA video card :

xwWwnaTl.jpg

60€ if more than what I'm willing to pay usually, but since I've never seen an EGA monitor before and it wasn't too expensive, I think that was worth it.

emxAtWMl.jpg

The mobo seem to support up to 4MB of ram, but at the moment it only has 1MB. Upgrading the RAM will probably be a pain since I need to replace every single chip ^^

Another really good thing about that mobo : it has a DALLAS battery chip, so no battery leakage here. Some people here doesn't seem to like them much here, but prefer drilling into a chip and add a battery holder to it rather than trying (and failing everytime) at repairing a mobo that was damaged by battery leakage

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 19844 of 53026, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

2017-11-01 01.37.27.jpg

I generally prefer desktop cases, but I always liked this particular design — sans the faux 3.5" floppy drive (I think it's silly, why would anyone do something like this?).

I'm with you - don't like the fake floppy covers. And, why didn't they ever think to do that to 5.25" covers? Agree that 386 suits this better, and it's also my favourite tower design.

Reply 19845 of 53026, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've seen the fake 5.25 covers before, and also later fake optical drive covers, but also also, fake optical drives that are hinge flapped on a door front panel so real optical drives can poke through them, but they all look the same... yah, didn't seem to work that well unless you had slotload drives.

Puzzles me why that case style is so popular though. I will admit that I sought them back in the day so I could get several identical ones. I have 2 minis and a midi somewhere.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19846 of 53026, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote:
jheronimus wrote:

2017-11-01 01.37.27.jpg

I generally prefer desktop cases, but I always liked this particular design — sans the faux 3.5" floppy drive (I think it's silly, why would anyone do something like this?).

I'm with you - don't like the fake floppy covers. And, why didn't they ever think to do that to 5.25" covers? Agree that 386 suits this better, and it's also my favourite tower design.

I get having one fake floppy cover (since pretty much all systems back then had a 3.5" floppy drive)...but it seems like they all had two. Like the case manufacturer was saying "look, you can have TWO floppy drives...LOOK!"

Our family computer tower (dx2-66 -> 5x86 -> ??? -> mmx) had one of those, and it drove me nuts. That and the display that showed 166 even though we had a 200Mhz MMX (since the first digit was only a 1).

Reply 19847 of 53026, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Went thrift or treating today and got these:

y1Chwxnh.jpg

Precision Instruments Universal Serial and PS/2 3-button mouse with programmable middle button and Myth II: Soulblighter for $3.17

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19849 of 53026, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

That and the display that showed 166 even though we had a 200Mhz MMX (since the first digit was only a 1).

I think most people would just set the display to 199 in this scenario 😀

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 19850 of 53026, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:
probnot wrote:

That and the display that showed 166 even though we had a 200Mhz MMX (since the first digit was only a 1).

I think most people would just set the display to 199 in this scenario 😀

I would actually use C8 (hex for 200)

Reply 19851 of 53026, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectroMan wrote:

Can you get the price stickers off? I swear to god, a lot of people working it these stores must have a negative IQ/don't give a crap with passion. In many cases an extremely greedy manager as well, particularly when the glue residue stays no matter what you do.

Those things are a PITA on plastics to remove. But, I do remove the price tags when I get home. If it was taped on there, it'll be easier.

The mouse is a PS/2 and Serial port capable (toggle switch is underneath the mouse).

Reply 19852 of 53026, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scraphoarder wrote:

I dont know yet. Probably never will have any use for all, but i like to have spares if some dies. Got the Compaq cards on an offer i made.

That's ok, I'd love to pick up one of these if you ever do decide to sell them, give me a heads up if you do 😀

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-11-01, 16:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19854 of 53026, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:

Those things are a PITA on plastics to remove.

Just use isopropyl alcohol and it will come off easily.

Ah. Forgot about that. Also, does anyone have the installation files for Windows so that I can use the middle mouse button for certain things in Windows?

Reply 19855 of 53026, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought another Number 9 "9FX" Motion 771 VLB card.
9fx.jpg

This one only has 2MB, but I'm going to attempt to solder on the extra chips on the reverse side. I'll probably either keep it as a backup in case my other fails, or perhaps attempt to trade it for something of equal value.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 19856 of 53026, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

This thing.... To use with old systems of various kinds. Will see how it goes and performs with Amiga600 and Playstation2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Scandoubler-Fl … t8AAOSwVFZZdIJy

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like You just payed a lot of money for a GBS8200 in a box.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-RGB-CGA-EGA-Y … cEAAOSw1DtXF5yQ

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 19857 of 53026, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I bought one of those NOS 486 motherboards (G486SVL) that was linked in the eBay auction thread a week or so ago. I didn't really need it, but the price was great and how often do you find this kind of old stuff "new". It arrived today and looks all good to me so far. The motherboard was still sealed in the anti-static bag. It's kind of strange to me to see an old motherboard like this glisten in the light in this way and have a very distinctive "new" smell. Haha.

No manual or anything like that. Came with one plastic standoff and a test results sheet filled out in 1993.

I probably won't have time in the next few days to give it a test drive. And at any rate I want to replace the TH1287 chip with a socket + new chip if I can get a suitable replacement. I'm assuming after 23 years that the battery is probably dead or close to it, but we'll see soon enough.

XeDVC5Ft.jpg czm9vO6t.jpg G4gjYKyt.jpg?1 8cwU3MZt.jpg?1

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 19858 of 53026, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote:
So, I bought one of those NOS 486 motherboards (G486SVL) that was linked in the eBay auction thread a week or so ago. I didn't r […]
Show full quote

So, I bought one of those NOS 486 motherboards (G486SVL) that was linked in the eBay auction thread a week or so ago. I didn't really need it, but the price was great and how often do you find this kind of old stuff "new". It arrived today and looks all good to me so far. The motherboard was still sealed in the anti-static bag. It's kind of strange to me to see an old motherboard like this glisten in the light in this way and have a very distinctive "new" smell. Haha.

No manual or anything like that. Came with one plastic standoff and a test results sheet filled out in 1993.

I probably won't have time in the next few days to give it a test drive. And at any rate I want to replace the TH1287 chip with a socket + new chip if I can get a suitable replacement. I'm assuming after 23 years that the battery is probably dead or close to it, but we'll see soon enough.

XeDVC5Ft.jpg czm9vO6t.jpg G4gjYKyt.jpg?1 8cwU3MZt.jpg?1

8 sticks forming 24M of RAM? Mmmm that's odd.

Reply 19859 of 53026, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Imperious wrote:
brostenen wrote:

This thing.... To use with old systems of various kinds. Will see how it goes and performs with Amiga600 and Playstation2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Scandoubler-Fl … t8AAOSwVFZZdIJy

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like You just payed a lot of money for a GBS8200 in a box.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-RGB-CGA-EGA-Y … cEAAOSw1DtXF5yQ

That might be. Yet I avoid having to source 23-Pin male plug, case, cable's, power supply and all other stuff.
Plus I will be getting it fully assembled. The best part is that I do not have to source that 23-pin adaptor.
In other words... I do not really see why this is so expensive as you say, taking these things in account.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011