VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The biggest thing would be if using VGA cards, specifically a Voodoo 3, would scale properly on its own and not stretch the image edge to edge when using 4:3 resolutions or would that just not work? Looking to get proper resolution for DOS games but not from DOSBOX. Or would that just not work?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 11, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GiSWiG wrote:

The biggest thing would be if using VGA cards, specifically a Voodoo 3, would scale properly on its own and not stretch the image edge to edge when using 4:3 resolutions or would that just not work? Looking to get proper resolution for DOS games but not from DOSBOX. Or would that just not work?

There should be an Aspect Ratio option in the menu of the monitor. Push the menu button, scroll to the right twice, push the menu button again (enter key), scroll down until you come up to an option that says Aspect Ratio, and there are two Aspect Ratios for that monitor - 4:3 and Wide

However, that mode only works in a GUI OS, not in DOS, I'm afraid.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GiSWiG wrote:

It's the monitor that scales digitally, the VGA cards output analog signals so monitor cannot know how many pixels you have horizontally (it could try to determine it though).

The manual also does not mention 1600x1200 resolution at all in any list of supported formats, and mentions that modes not listed in manual may not be supported.

Thus; if you have the aspect ratio control in monitor menu you might get it work, but not all models have it.

Reply 3 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:
GiSWiG wrote:

There should be an Aspect Ratio option in the menu of the monitor. Push the menu button, scroll to the right twice, push the menu button again (enter key), scroll down until you come up to an option that says Aspect Ratio, and there are two Aspect Ratios for that monitor - 4:3 and Wide

So do you have that monitor then and it does do scaling on the monitor side?

See I have a Dell 1680x1050 that has the Aspect Ration option in the menu that forces the image to the proper aspect regardless of Windows, DOS, source resolution, etc. It even does 1:1 but you can imagine how small 320x200 would be. I also have a cheapo 1680x1050 that does not have scaling options on the monitor so in a modern Windows OS, you have to use GPU scaling.

So I need to know that this monitor specifically has scaling options on the monitor and would work properly in DOS.

Thanks!

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 4 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really sounds like it is best to just get a 1600x1200 monitor. I'm trying to stay below $100.

Anyone have a Dell 2007FP 1600x1200 and working nice with DOS?

Reply 5 of 11, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GiSWiG wrote:
So do you have that monitor then and it does do scaling on the monitor side? […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:
GiSWiG wrote:

So do you have that monitor then and it does do scaling on the monitor side?

See I have a Dell 1680x1050 that has the Aspect Ration option in the menu that forces the image to the proper aspect regardless of Windows, DOS, source resolution, etc. It even does 1:1 but you can imagine how small 320x200 would be. I also have a cheapo 1680x1050 that does not have scaling options on the monitor so in a modern Windows OS, you have to use GPU scaling.

So I need to know that this monitor specifically has scaling options on the monitor and would work properly in DOS.

Thanks!

I have an ASUS VK222H that doesn't have a scaling option as it stretches the display within DOS, as well as the DOS Box in Windows for Workgroups 3.11

I have a Dell 19" LCD Monitor and a Samsung SyncMaster 21.5" LCD Monitor that keeps the ratio at 4:3, no matter what if it's CLI or GUI, they still display the perfect aspect ratio. I even have a 19" Samsung LCD TV (non-HD) that has Aspect Ratio that locks the display at the correct ratio.

Reply 6 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an ASUS VK222H that doesn't have a scaling option as it stretches the display within DOS, as well as the DOS Box in Windows for Workgroups 3.11

I have a Dell 19" LCD Monitor and a Samsung SyncMaster 21.5" LCD Monitor that keeps the ratio at 4:3, no matter what if it's CLI or GUI, they still display the perfect aspect ratio. I even have a 19" Samsung LCD TV (non-HD) that has Aspect Ratio that locks the display at the correct ratio.

Thanks for that. There is a listing on ebay for thoes, $75 and free shipping for US. I did just find a Dell 2007FP for $40 total so I just got that.

So no more retro purchases for awhile...seriously...stop it, I say to myself.

Reply 7 of 11, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GiSWiG wrote:

Thanks for that. There is a listing on ebay for thoes, $75 and free shipping for US. I did just find a Dell 2007FP for $40 total so I just got that.

So no more retro purchases for awhile...seriously...stop it, I say to myself.

$40 for a Dell monitor isn't bad at all. I paid $8.99 for the ASUS, the Samsung and Dell monitors were $14.99 or so a piece. I have a Medion MD 1998 OF CRT that I got for $20 or so, and I have an IBM 15" CRT Monitor that's been in my house since 1995.

Reply 8 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

$40 for a Dell monitor isn't bad at all. I paid $8.99 for the ASUS, the Samsung and Dell monitors were $14.99 or so a piece. I have a Medion MD 1998 OF CRT that I got for $20 or so, and I have an IBM 15" CRT Monitor that's been in my house since 1995.

I'm currently using a Dell 1024x768 LCD, really old and still kicking, forget what model, but the case creeks ocasionally while using it. Kinda funny.

I still have my first LCD AND widescreen monitor, an Viewsonic 1440x900. I had replaced all the caps on it when it started going haywire but worked great after that. I haven't used it in a while and sits in a closet but I just don't want to let it go. Maybe someday when I move or die.

Reply 9 of 11, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GiSWiG wrote:

I'm currently using a Dell 1024x768 LCD, really old and still kicking, forget what model, but the case creeks ocasionally while using it. Kinda funny.

I still have my first LCD AND widescreen monitor, an Viewsonic 1440x900. I had replaced all the caps on it when it started going haywire but worked great after that. I haven't used it in a while and sits in a closet but I just don't want to let it go. Maybe someday when I move or die.

My first LCD and widescreen monitor was an Acer AL1917W (still have it today), but it has issues where a pitched whining noise is heard (maybe a capacitor is bad or the line in jack is jacked, who knows). My IBM 15" CRT turns pink, but still displays the picture fine (Red and Blue are good, and Green might be going bad), but after spraying contact cleaner in the VGA port, it works, for a while.

Reply 10 of 11, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first LCD and widescreen monitor was an Acer AL1917W (still have it today), but it has issues where a pitched whining noise is heard (maybe a capacitor is bad or the line in jack is jacked, who knows). My IBM 15" CRT turns pink, but still displays the picture fine (Red and Blue are good, and Green might be going bad), but after spraying contact cleaner in the VGA port, it works, for a while.

Sounds like what happened to my Viewsonic.There was whinning, buzzing, and the screen would flicker almost like a CRT would. Easy enough for you to pen her up and look at the capacitors, if there are any. When I replaced mine, I found capacitor kits on ebay for specific monitors, including mine. I think it cost me $10 to do it.

Reply 11 of 11, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GiSWiG wrote:

It even does 1:1 but you can imagine how small 320x200 would be.

No, because 320x200 does not exist.

It's pixel doubled and scanline doubled to match VGA graphics mode 640x400 and text mode 720x400.

So it will look exactly like those.