VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello and help! (Also Merry Christmas)

Has anyone encountered such aggressive reading of the floppy disktette when running scandisk?

https://youtu.be/rpvWa01DpgQ

This happens on two of my MS-DOS 6.22 machines. Format doesn't matter, as I stuck in a 5.25 in the machine and it did the exact same thing. 30+ diskettes were used (I was scanning them, preparing for USB archiving) and they all do the same thing EXCEPT when the write protect tab is disabled.

I've used DOS since I was 12, and I do NOT recall this kind of disk access issue. I'm thinking it's a virus, but I've done an FPROT recently (as well I loaded a diskette into my XP machine with up to date Trend Micro and it found nothing - Unfortunately my control disk with the ANTIEXE virus seems to have suffered a Track 0 failure so I can't even test if Trend Micro will pick up viruses so old)

I'm stumped. What am I actually seeing here?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 8, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well i had a behavior like this when scandisk found bad block, but then it will do that for a moment and stop and proceeed normally until the next bad block.
But mine wasn't as wild as it is in your video, and as far as i seen the scan disk didn't reported a bad block in your case.

Reply 2 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see anything unusual in the video. Surface scan normally reads a sector, erases and re-writes the data, reads it again and does a compare. If the disk is write-protected, it tries that for the first sector a couple of times and then goes over to a read-only check.

Why do you do this at all? If you format a disk, all sectors are checked anyway (you can even force re-check of bad sectors with "/c").

Reply 3 of 8, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me it seems it wants to force-write something. IMO, you can hear it crank out the first track(0) OK, then (WILDBLAHBLAHHASHBBQ), then next track read is OK.

I would have definitely remembered that kind of action in the past. This is completely new to me.

Perhaps I should make a comparative video to show how the process occurs normally. I can assure you, it doesn't sound like an AK-97 (or M11989A1).

Wait, I will make it.

Reply 4 of 8, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK here it is - Basically, it does the first 4 steps OK, then when it gets to the physical disk scan, it starts to freak out.

Here is how the same diskette in the first video acts when the write protect notch is open (writing is possible)

Notice no diskette drive freakouts - just instant surface scan.

https://youtu.be/yuAti9YKTKs

Is this normal activity? If I can get a strong-hand confirmation that this is how it acts in other x86 DOS 6.22 systems, I will rest my case. And apologize for wasting time.

Reply 5 of 8, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

this seems normal to me

Reply 6 of 8, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:

this seems normal to me

Can you confirm, by scandisk floppy write protect vs. not write protect?

Reply 7 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jed118 wrote:

To me it seems it wants to force-write something. IMO, you can hear it crank out the first track(0) OK, then (WILDBLAHBLAHHASHBBQ), then next track read is OK.

derSammler wrote:

Surface scan normally reads a sector, erases and re-writes the data, reads it again and does a compare. If the disk is write-protected, it tries that for the first sector a couple of times and then goes over to a read-only check.

I thought I just explained that behaviour. It's normal for write-protected disks.

Reply 8 of 8, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow then I guess I wrote-protect nothing as a kid. I seriously don't remember this noise... on my 486 it's so loud it can be heard in the other room!