VOGONS

The dying Quantum Bigfoot

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seconded. I had a lot of old Quantums and Conners leaking out oil in grand fashion. And you don't want to have that on your planar. They are ticking time bombs.

Reply 21 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of Bigfoot drives with low POH and zero bad sectors. They work fine, but they are too slow, so I choose not to use them. HDD is one area I cheat a little when going for certain era builds. I don't like using CF or SSD, but I do use mechanical HDDs that would've been a little too big/fast for the time I'm targeting.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 22, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^ I do the same - my 1994 era 486 has a 2.5GB Maxtor in it, and my 1992 486DLC has an 850 Mb Barracuda drive in it. The only ones that have era-fidelity are my 286 (42 Mb full height drive) and my 386SX (Western Digital 85 MB)

KCompRoom2000 wrote:

I have a 2.1GB Quantum Bigfoot drive that still works (in a Compaq Presario 2100), it even has a Compaq OEM installation of Windows 95 RTM (surprisingly not OSR2 despite being manufactured in early 1997), I made a VHD backup of it just in case it dies, I also have four Fireballs that still work (their capacities are: 6.4GB, 8.4GB, 30GB, and 40GB). However, I did have another 8.4GB Fireball die on me due to magnetic (nearby speaker) damage back in 2014.

Fireballs are amazing drives. I still have three of them in similar sizes. The only one to not register is my SCSI drive - I think it might be dead though.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!