VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I came across this handy little survival guide for my AMI BIOS because I wanted to better understand what slack there was in my system, where the bottlenecks were etc.:

http://margo.student.utwente.nl/el/pc/bios/ami31.htm

After seeing some of the impressive numbers people have gotten from their machines, I decided to bench my own and I wanted to use some of the same tools as others so I used SysInfo from Norton Tools to bench my CPU. Sadly my AMD-40DX (which happens to be locked at 33 by the crystal) came in at 31.7 when the "typical" 33 comes in at 35.9. I was pretty depressed about this, thinking I got a lemon of a computer or something but then it occurred to me that maybe the CPU wasn't to blame. Maybe something else was holding it back, like the RAM - pissing away CPU cycles, so I went to my BIOS and looked at all the wait states. I have 70nS RAM but beyond that I don't really know how many wait states it needs so I just looked for the biggest number and dropped it down 1. To my delight, it actually made a noticeable difference. I didn't want to crash the computer or anything but I started dropping wait states by a point or 2 across the board and managed to get my CPU score up to about 34... still short of the typical rig but noticeably faster. One thing I didn't need the score to tell me was the boot speed - I "felt" that. Also Doom seemed less choppy. I don't think this was a Placebo. It really did run faster.

I'm curious. Of those of you with 386s, what numbers do you have for your wait states that work for you? Do you have normal RAM or special RAM? I heard about "zero wait state ram". Anybody have this?

Also, while I didn't try it, is it worth overclocking the bus speeds? Does that tend to bottleneck or is it mostly ram killing cpu performance?

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just try to decrease the timings as low as you can, and use memtest to check if your computer actually runs stable. If it does with the lowest timings, then you're good ^^

Also, do you have L2 cache ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 7, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I doubt it. Isn't the L2 era past the 386? I have 64k of external cache and I don't think there's anything on-die.

I was thinking about upgrading the cache but I also theorized that more cache wouldn't simply make the CPU faster. No doubt it would help with games and software but for speed I figured it as more about the timings.

Reply 3 of 7, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

I doubt it. Isn't the L2 era past the 386? I have 64k of external cache and I don't think there's anything on-die.

I was thinking about upgrading the cache but I also theorized that more cache wouldn't simply make the CPU faster. No doubt it would help with games and software but for speed I figured it as more about the timings.

I think they often mean motherboard cache when say L2, even though it's technically L1 for a vanilla (cache-less) 386 CPU. And tighter timings can help quite a bit. For example, on an OPTi 495XLC hybrid board going from slowest to fastest timings raised LM2.0 result from 53-ish to 62+. (But it rendered the system unstable so it didn't really help...)

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 7, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As long as no physical damage or data corruption results (assuming all I do is POST and memtest), I will attempt to lower the timings. I'm assuming if the timings are no good, the computer will still allow me to enter setup to change things back?

I'm thinking about overclocking the ISA bus too but I'm worried about messing up my cards. Also, if I overclock later (not really over clock since my chips are rated for 40), that too will change the bus speed. I've heard 12MHz is possible but maybe this would cause errors in certain hardware.

Reply 5 of 7, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

I've heard 12MHz is possible but maybe this would cause errors in certain hardware.

In my ALI M1429 testbed 16MHz ISA was completely fine. I think it depends on the VGA and the I/O card - though I tested like 10 ISA VGAs and most of them worked. I might have been lucky with the I/O card, though. I really don't know.

(GUS Classic liked it too, even though I know it can freak out on off-spec or very late ISA.)

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 7 of 7, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's right! That's what I had to do on a more contemporary computer I screwed up. I had to pull the battery and short a jumper to clear the CMOS. In that case, I'd better do my homework on this MB before I tamper anymore. If I can't find the battery or jumper or whatever I may be stuck with a bricked computer 🤣.