VOGONS

First post, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anybody experience with such a card refusing to work in a Socket 3/4/5/7/462 system but working in a rather modern one - in my case a 775/P35 based board?
It's the only odd one out of all the others which behaves like that. It has different rams, is a revision D. and looks more "recently made" than the other "Diamonds".

Attachments

• Anus.jpg
    Filename
    Anus.jpg
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the card inserted there is no picture and no activity from the system - systems are all DOS based.
With the P35 board the card shows it's signature and proceeds operation accordingly.

Reply 5 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it were mine, I'd inspect the card carefully with a magnifying glass for any imperfections or bits of debris, brush the surface of the card with a dry tooth brush then use a pencil eraser to shine up the contacts.

It has to have some flaw that is only a problem for older systems.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 8, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I'll see if inspection/cleaning yields something. If it is like in vvbee's case then I'm stuck with it only working in a more capable system.
I suspect that(surreal hypothesis ahead) some minor damage occurred and thus only a more "durable" PCI interface can feed/stomach the card which is found on, for example, the P35.

Reply 8 of 8, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it doesn´t show a picture in DOS but works in windows there may be some BIOS corruption.
You could try a reflash.

As mentioned before it should work with older systems. It was the first PCI video card I ever owned, switching from a ISA based ET4000 on my old P133.
Board was a Gigabyte GA586VX if I remember correctly.
Yes, I really used an ISA card in a PCI board for a while ´cause I couldn´t afford a PCI graphics card as a student.