VOGONS

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a nice old Dell Precision T3400 workstation with the Intel X38 Express chipset and a Quadro FX 1300. Since the video card is essentially a PCIE version of a GeForce FX 5900, I'm wondering if there is a way to install the Intel chipset software under Win98SE. It might make for some decent Win9x compatibility if possible. Has anybody had any success? Is it just not possible?

Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 2, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It can and probably has been done for this chipset but it is not a simple process where one can just double click then reboot as it is an very much involved DIY process that even I can't do. You have to figure out hardware addresses on that board and manually get that into the os where the os understands where everything is and how to use those resources which is a steep learning curve, this is the big reason reason why we are not seeing community based drivers for newer hardware. To pull it off someone posted a guide on another forum and I've linked it here a couple of times but not going to bother hunting that down again as I already have enough on my mind at this time.

You will need to install win 2k and probably xp as well along with all the usual drivers then go through the lengthy process of learning all the hardware addresses then go from there. Personally I would be very excited if there was a way of getting 9x to where it was happy with modern hardware and could run 64 bit applications without the silly ram limit issue.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 2, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info! I'm going to file this one away as, "Technically possible, but definitely not practical." It runs XP just fine. I'll stick with that.