VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems every couple years I have to look this up again because I come across an abundance of what appear to be very high quality (and fairly long) centronics parallel cables. Is there ever a practical use for these cables anymore aside from running an old printer that uses this interface? Consumer grade printers from the pre-USB inkjet era are basically always garbage from my experience (as are most modern consumer grade inkjets). They were generally unreliable, print quality was horrid compared to modern printers, speed was bad, ink cartridges were expensive and dried out quickly (just like today) and there weren't really any notable features they had that would make them interesting from a historical perspective (they are basically the same as modern printers but were beige and had inferior print quality)... so aside from being able to show someone how awful it was to use a printer from the mid-90s to the early 2000s, is there any reason to keep centronics cables rather than sell them for scrap? They tend to be very heavy cables with lots of shiny pins so they're attractive for that purpose...

02300a.jpg

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, its not looking good for the 'ol centronics cables.

Has anyone ever seen any other device (parallel or otherwise) that isn't a printer and uses one of these cables?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 3, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea, though I see with irritation that basic SCSI cables are now quite expensive, as are old school floppy cables with the edge connectors for 5.25" drives. These things used to get thrown away without a thought. I don't know if these printer cables will ever be worth anything but if I were you I would keep them, or at least any that look new and unused.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once used a long printer cable as a tow cable to help pull a car out of mud. They are surprisingly strong.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK