VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe this isn't that rare, but I was amused for a few minutes at least. The heatsink is actually threaded, and screws into the heatsink clip.

2018-03-26 09_37_19-Photo - Google Photos.jpg
Filename
2018-03-26 09_37_19-Photo - Google Photos.jpg
File size
36.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember having seen a couple HSFs that needed to be 'screwed in', similar to what yours does. I know I should have 2 similar ones, one for s3 and another for s5/s7. Both of those are smaller then yours. but I'd need to go find them, not sure where I kept those. The heatsink bracket whateverthingy needs to be clipped onto the CPU and then the heatsink screwed into it. or something like that.
The ones that clipped onto the CPU were more common during the 486 era and it got out of use when heatsinks started appearing that clipped to the CPU socket itself.

Mines look much different from yours though. I do remember the 2 I had were most likely by the same manufacturer but I don't remember who made those.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 13, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once saw one of those (except in black) cooling a P100. It seemed to work fine (there was an ~80mm fan blowing at it from the front of the case, IIRC).

Just try not to "screw it in" too tight, or the plastic retainers will eventually give and the whole thing will pop off the CPU. 😵

Reply 10 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an old CPU with a screw-in heatsink somewhat like that. Not as long though! That's an interesting idea. Can't be a secure enough mounting method for modern CPUs though...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 12 of 13, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have seen them a couple of times on the internet, during the last couple of years. They look amazing.
Back in 1995, I bought a Dx2-66 system, with a heatsink/fan, were the heatsink also screwed in like that.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011