VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone that happens to have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard, if you have SLI setup, is there any room for PCI Soundcard? Looking at photos it appears the GPUs would cover both PCI slots as one is between the two PCI-e slots and the other is right beside the PCI-e slot

Reply 1 of 8, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Smack2k wrote:

Anyone that happens to have a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard, if you have SLI setup, is there any room for PCI Soundcard? Looking at photos it appears the GPUs would cover both PCI slots as one is between the two PCI-e slots and the other is right beside the PCI-e slot

Depends on upper GPU cooling.
Reference NV cooling will let you install a single slot PCI sound card in first PCI slot.
However, without moded drivers, you can't enable SLI on this board.

157143230295.png

Reply 2 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like as long as the GPUs do not take more than 2 slots, the upper PCI slot (at mid-board) will not be blocked. It may not be happy being stuck between two rather hot GPUs, but a typical SLI setup does not leave much wiggle room.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 8, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can most probably stuck that PCI card between those GPUs, but you will pretty much choke upper card, quite hard.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 4 of 8, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
Depends on upper GPU cooling. Reference NV cooling will let you install a single slot PCI sound card in first PCI slot. However, […]
Show full quote
Smack2k wrote:

Depends on upper GPU cooling.
Reference NV cooling will let you install a single slot PCI sound card in first PCI slot.
However, without moded drivers, you can't enable SLI on this board.

I didn't realize that, thanks for the info. I just want to find a decent 2009 era board that I can setup with SLI and add a sound card, PCI or PCIe

Reply 5 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Around 2008-2010 is the time sound cards became redundant. Main reasons were lack of support for hardware sound features in windows 7 (technically since vista, but who cares about vista) and the quality of onboard sound stopped being shit. Also Audio over HDMI became a thing.

Reply 6 of 8, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Koltoroc wrote:

Around 2008-2010 is the time sound cards became redundant. Main reasons were lack of support for hardware sound features in windows 7 (technically since vista, but who cares about vista) and the quality of onboard sound stopped being shit. Also Audio over HDMI became a thing.

The death of environmental audio began in 2000 when Aureal was bought out, but the end of DirectSound3D hardware acceleration in Vista was the last nail in the coffin. A sad time indeed.

10 years later the best environmental effects I've heard are in a Minecraft mod called Sound Physics.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Koltoroc wrote:

technically since vista, but who cares about vista

People who care about always being technically correct, punctual and truthful. And I think only those people. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys