Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spent some time repairing the battery damage on this 80386SX Baord

IMG_0721r.jpg

Now it looks like this...

DSC_6819r.jpg
DSC_6822r.jpg

Not a very nice work (was not much to safe anyway when looking at the initial state) and I am happy its powering on. All traces seem to have survived the leaking battery, didnt need to fix any, but had to remove some caps.

Now it displays the VGA BIOS message, but then it stops with "20 1A" on the POST card and displays "CMOS INOPERATIONAL SYSTEM HALTED" (AMI BIOS).

If have read this is in most cases related to the battery. However, I connected an external battery and tried the external header as well as the internal pins, but nothing.

The documentation of the 82C206 whre the CMOS is integrated says:

Power-Up/Down
Most applications will require the Real Time Clock to remain active whenever the system power is turned off. To accomplish this the user must provide an alternate source of power to the 82C206. This alternate source of power is normally provided by connecting a battery to the Vcc supply pin (PIN 32) of the device.

I have measured PIN32 against ground and there is 5V on it when the system is powered on and also when powered off (from the battery). Therefore the battery seems to be OK from my point of view.

Any idea what to do? I dont think it makes sense to reassemble the remaining parts before this is fixed...

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It looks like you still have corrosion on there. Did you hit it with vinegar, scrub, rinse, ISO, and dry?

Is the jumper that controls clearing cmos still intact and functioning properly? Have you tried reseating the bios chips? What does the bottom of the board look like?

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video