VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some people use CF to IDE adapter for their retro system, and I'm very interested to use it on mine too. Found this following hardware on the net: Startech 3.5in Drive Bay IDE to Single CF SSD Adapter Card Reader. What makes it interesting is that it's ejectable. Not only it makes it easier to switch between O/S (for example, a 2 GB CF card installed with DOS, and a 32 GB CF card installed with Windows 98, for the same Pentium III system), but it also makes it easier to backup the said CD card.

However, is it bootable? Cannot find any specs that say so. Anyone experienced with it?

startech_cf_to_ide.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 12, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have several of these, but mine were made by Addonics (ADIDECF). However, they look so similar that it might actually be the same product.

Do not be fooled by the term "ejectable" - on mine the "eject" button is flaky and doesn't work: I need to pull out the card to remove it, however it's not a big deal and it works. The adapter is bootable provided the memory card is properly partitioned and compatible with the system.

You can see it installed on my socket 7 system here. I've also got one with a beige bay adapter lying around somewhere.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 2 of 12, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why are there two ribbon cable connectors?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 3 of 12, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One is IDE 40 pin, while the other is 44 pin.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:

I have several of these, but mine were made by Addonics (ADIDECF). However, they look so similar that it might actually be the same product.

Do not be fooled by the term "ejectable" - on mine the "eject" button is flaky and doesn't work: I need to pull out the card to remove it, however it's not a big deal and it works. The adapter is bootable provided the memory card is properly partitioned and compatible with the system.

You can see it installed on my socket 7 system here. I've also got one with a beige bay adapter lying around somewhere.

I see, thanks for the information. I don't mind having to pull out the card, though. What's important is the ability to swap CF without opening the PC case.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 5 of 12, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

What's important is the ability to swap CF without opening the PC case.

For this purpose you also have bracket adapters that sit in an expansion slot at the back of the computer. They're generally a bit less expensive and are more subtle when you'd rather keep the vintage look of your retro rig.

adidecf_detail.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 12, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MMaximus wrote:
For this purpose you also have bracket adapters that sit in an expansion slot at the back of the computer. They're generally a b […]
Show full quote

For this purpose you also have bracket adapters that sit in an expansion slot at the back of the computer. They're generally a bit less expensive and are more subtle when you'd rather keep the vintage look of your retro rig.

adidecf_detail.jpg

Thanks. Floppy mount and black color is fine for me. All my retro systems would be move to rackmount case anyway, so I won't worry about retro look.

Reply 7 of 12, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:
For this purpose you also have bracket adapters that sit in an expansion slot at the back of the computer. They're generally a b […]
Show full quote

adidecf_detail.jpg

I actually use one home made 5.25" drive bay mount, i just curved back the expasion slot bracket to make it flat(instead of a L shape), with a dremel i cut a slot on the bay cover and smoothed it with a nail file to make it look decent and drilled a hole on the bracket and then marked the bay cover to align the holes and used a m3 bolt and nuts to secure it in place and to make it look a little better i covered the bolt heads with two m3 bolt top cover, i even drilled small holes for the LED on the adapter. it is actually pretty decent looking on my 486 DX4, the ease of use provided by this solution is amazing.

Reply 8 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a similar different cards for different OS's setup on a 486 while back.
If you use have a couple of the same CF cards you don't even need to worry about changing the HDD setup in BIOS as the PC wont know its 2 different cards.

Reply 9 of 12, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had the PCI bracket version a long time ago, and that was amazing, but, I have a huge collection of games for my Windows 98SE machine that cannot keep up with a 2GB CF Card (which is in my 486 Packard Bell due to HDD limitations) or 4GB CF Card. It is amazing to have something to look at photos that were stored on a CF card that older digital cameras used before SD/XD/MMC cards.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10 of 12, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1z2qdyf.jpg

😁

Reply 11 of 12, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
.legaCy wrote:

I actually use one home made 5.25" drive bay mount, i just curved back the expasion slot bracket to make it flat(instead of a L shape), with a dremel i cut a slot on the bay cover and smoothed it with a nail file to make it look decent and drilled a hole on the bracket and then marked the bay cover to align the holes and used a m3 bolt and nuts to secure it in place and to make it look a little better i covered the bolt heads with two m3 bolt top cover, i even drilled small holes for the LED on the adapter. it is actually pretty decent looking on my 486 DX4, the ease of use provided by this solution is amazing.

Hi! I'd really like to see a pic or two of your solution 😁

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 12 of 12, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome! I wanted to use one of these because my expansion slots are backed to the brim but the STartech's black one would look awful in my beige case. Thanks for showing off the Addonics one.