VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello ( History of re-writable optical discs )
Are there timelines for different CD-RW and DVD-RW speeds appearing to mainstream ?

I have some older ones which have these "starter" speeds:
CD-RW 1-2x
DVD-RW 1-2x

Burning an old 1pc DVD-RW 1-2x disc took me about 30mins today 😀

I have one 1998 CD-drive that accepts only CD-RW 1-2x for some reason and does not read CDs that are burned faster than that.

Reply 1 of 2, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
user33331 wrote:
Hello ( History of re-writable optical discs ) Are there timelines for different CD-RW and DVD-RW speeds appearing to mainstream […]
Show full quote

Hello ( History of re-writable optical discs )
Are there timelines for different CD-RW and DVD-RW speeds appearing to mainstream ?

I have some older ones which have these "starter" speeds:
CD-RW 1-2x
DVD-RW 1-2x

Burning an old 1pc DVD-RW 1-2x disc took me about 30mins today 😀

I have one 1998 CD-drive that accepts only CD-RW 1-2x for some reason and does not read CDs that are burned faster than that.

I have to say, using retro CD\DVD burners just for the sake of using them is something that has never ever crossed my mind. When I think of old CD burners I think: coasters, buffer underrun, noise, coasters, and leaving my PC for an hour to burn a music CD... and coasters.

Still, it would be interesting to know when the different speeds started to appear.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 2, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was recently reading some PC Mag issues from early 1994 and came across an external CD-R not too long ago. Insane price tag. I'm trying to flip through and find it but no luck. Check out some January 1994 issues of PC Mag, they are all archived on google.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?