VOGONS

First post, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently purchased an old SCSI CDROM unit listed as "tested in excellent condition" It's a NEC unit, model CD-3010A. It's recognized OK when attached to the SCSI bus but it appears to have a mechanical problem. The tray won't stay closed. As soon as it's powered up the tray opens. If I close it, it opens up again in a few seconds. It does that even if it's empty and not connected to a SCSI bus.

Has anyone experienced CDROMs doing this, and is it potentially a simple fix that I could attempt myself or is it b0rked and I should return it? I'm kinda wary of a return because it's pretty big and heavy thus probably expensive to ship. When correctly jumpered and terminated the unit is recognized by the computer but can't be used because the tray keeps popping out.

I have had CDROMs go bad but never in this manner.

I've sent a message to the seller but haven't heard back yet.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 1 of 5, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had the same problem with a Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM drive. The tray mechanism had a broken component. These are the notes I made at the time:

Faulty: tray spontaneously opens and will not stay closed. Examination of tray mechanism shows that a small white cogwheel is broken and prone to coming loose from its axle. A small amount of glue was applied to hold it in place. This repair will probably have to be performed at regular intervals.

If yours has the same problem, and a refund is an option, then I recommend returning it.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm I would be tempted to try and repair it but if I open it up then I won't be able to return anymore in case I can't fix it myself.

It's aggravating because SCSI CDs are getting scarce and expensive, I did some extensive searching before I found this one and had high hopes as it was, well, tested. The next one up in price was over twice as expensive and in "unknown condition as-is" which usually means known broken

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 3 of 5, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The fact that little parts like this are prone to breaking means that it's very important to package the drive carefully when shipping it.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 5, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The packing was relatively OK, sheet of bubble wrap around and wads of more bubble wrap all around to fill the box. It wasn't loose or rattling in the package. I'd be OK with a partial refund and trying to fix the drive afterwards. If it's a broken plastic part I could try to 3D print a replacement.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 5 of 5, by lordmogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I actually have a Philips IDE drive that behaves similar. Even after disassembly and cleaning it still does how it feels like. But since it's a nice look drinve for older systems it;s a shame to be so quirky.

P3 933EB @1035 (7x148) | CUSL2-C | GF3Ti200 | 256M PC133cl3 @148cl3 | 98SE & XP Pro SP3
X5460 @4.1 (9x456) | P35-DS3R | GTX660Ti | 8G DDR2-800cl5 @912cl6 | XP Pro SP3 & 7 SP1
3570K @4.4 GHz | Z77-D3H | GTX1060 | 16G DDR3-1600cl9 @2133cl12 | 7 SP1