VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I am trying to configure this unknown (think is a QDI motherboard) with the SIS 85C496/7 chipset with two CDROM drives but have some problem at boot with DOS that seems to not find the drives. Usually on old 386 I had the CDROM on the same single IDE connector as slave and without any bios config (set none) it usually worked in DOS.
But with this I'm not sure how to configure 2 cdrom drives on the secondary ide connector.
One drive is a time correct 1995 cdrom with some strange master slave pins not the usual ones, the other a classic asus 52X drive. The motherboard has a great (never seen such modern 486 bios) graphical bios interface with many (!) options and after the usual USER disk settings it has SCSI, ESDI something like that and NONE.
Do I need to configure manually the config,sys?
Thank

Reply 1 of 1, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have to load oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe (or equivalent) at boot to have the drives working. If you already do, make sure that both drive are working in other systems and when in other systems. Finally, make sure that one drive is master and the other slave.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative