VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

While I am still thinking to build a Phenom2 or FX config, I have this Intel I5 650 cpu in 1156 socket but without motherboard and i'd need to buy one but also I have a Socket 1150 motherboard but without cpu and i've seen these pentium g3240 to be enough cheap so I could decide to build one only of the two configs but don't know which it would be interesting to use as everyday machine.
The 1150 mobo is in mini-itx form and I would need a power supply too in that slim form factor or those external/internal adapters.
Is that i5 still good? And what about that cheap Pentium g3240?

Thank

Reply 1 of 4, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Haswell-era G3240 will overthrow the i5-650 in everything, except possibly for workloads that can efficiently use all four of the i5-650's threads (two cores + HT) at once. Not even the 3.47GHz single-core boost of the i5-650 will save it, and the G3240 will have a noticeably faster IGP and much lower overall power consumption.

386SX wrote:

... The 1150 mobo is in mini-itx form and I would need a power supply too in that slim form factor or those external/internal adapters.

Why do you think so; most non-OEM ITX boards use the standard 20/24-pin power connector and will work with any ATX PSU. Or is it one of those MBs with a DC jack input only? (What model is the board?)

Reply 2 of 4, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you. I would use the q6600 cause i already have one also quad 2,13ghz/1333 775 cpu i dont remember the model. About the power supply the problem will be the case that is too thin for a standard power supply. The mobo has the usual 24pin connector.

Reply 4 of 4, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^There are no specific mounting positions for mini-ITX; mini-ITX boards use the four top-leftmost attachment points of ATX motherboards. Literally any (micro-)ATX case ever made (possibly except for some really early outliers) will accommodate a mini-ITX MB.