VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
I got for cheap a Pentium G2130 on Socket 1155 and a Asrock H61M mobo that had problems and probably not working but I found that many pins on the socket has been pressed and had to be fixed. I was surprised to see that now the board is perfectly working with this cpu. 😀
I've seen that the motherboard supports 2nd and 3rd generations of i3/5/7 processor but I don't really know much about them, can you give me some info? Are they good or not, any info of which processor not too expensive I could buy?

Also I'm testing this low power G2130 cpu and impressed to see that is working with 40W or less watts. Was it a good even if low end cpu?

Thank

Reply 1 of 3, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The G2130 is 2 core, no HT, 3.2GHz (and is Ivybridge, so it would appear the board is already BIOSED for them) … I tested my 1155 with a cheap G630 and went all the way to an i7-3770
Not worth getting a K model, as the H61 chipset doesn't support the unlocked multiplier.

The G2130 isn't bad for a dual core (-HT) - only one short of the top of that series.
The i3 is dual core HT
The i5 is quad core no HT
The i7 is quad core HT

The 3rd gen generally have a percentage advantage on performance/clock and a lower TDP

NB. the letters:
S = slow (but not that slow) - base speed is lowered, but the turbo speeds (achieved if thermals and power are ok) are generally up to the non-S - you don't lose much performance with an S, and you may save power under light to medium load. 3 and 4 core turbo are more limited, to restrain the TDP.
T = Terribly SLOW - all speeds, base and turbo, are lower than the S

Some boards have an option to force all core maximum turbo, normally the turbo on a quad (only the i5/i7 have turbo) has 4 steps, the highest step for single core loaded, and the lowest step for all 4

Reply 2 of 3, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Matth79 wrote:
The G2130 is 2 core, no HT, 3.2GHz (and is Ivybridge, so it would appear the board is already BIOSED for them) … I tested my 11 […]
Show full quote

The G2130 is 2 core, no HT, 3.2GHz (and is Ivybridge, so it would appear the board is already BIOSED for them) … I tested my 1155 with a cheap G630 and went all the way to an i7-3770
Not worth getting a K model, as the H61 chipset doesn't support the unlocked multiplier.

The G2130 isn't bad for a dual core (-HT) - only one short of the top of that series.
The i3 is dual core HT
The i5 is quad core no HT
The i7 is quad core HT

The 3rd gen generally have a percentage advantage on performance/clock and a lower TDP

NB. the letters:
S = slow (but not that slow) - base speed is lowered, but the turbo speeds (achieved if thermals and power are ok) are generally up to the non-S - you don't lose much performance with an S, and you may save power under light to medium load. 3 and 4 core turbo are more limited, to restrain the TDP.
T = Terribly SLOW - all speeds, base and tu rbo, are lower than the S

Some boards have an option to force all core maximum turbo, normally the turbo on a quad (only the i5/i7 have turbo) has 4 steps, the highest step for single core loaded, and the lowest step for all 4

Thank you! I am not expert in post 2010 cpu and only testing them lately. 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congratulations on the pin surgery... I had to do some on my board too, and bought a 50p CPU (postage was over £1) to test it, before committing to a pricier option.

The other thing I forgot, there are LGA1155 Xeons as well, but need to check CPU support list to see if they are included
The E3-1220 (£35.17 on aliexpress) is equivalent to an i5-2400 but with no IGP
E3-1270 is equivalent to i7-2600 no IGP (has 4 cores and HT)
The Xeons just get a "V2" to indicate the 3rd Gen

PS. Checked the list for the Asrock H61M and it says "supports K series" - which according to Intel specs, is not on the H61 chipset - and also includes the Xeon V2 on the support list, but doesn't specify the others