VOGONS

Broken memory modules?

Topic actions

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible for motherboard to break any any memory modules you put in the slots?
Basically there was 2 SIMMs when I got the motherboard. Everything worked fine at first, but after testing things for a while, I started getting memory test fail at post. I tested the modules one at the time and I got memory test fail with one but not with the other.
After perhaps an hour more testing the motherboard with just the module that didn't give the error, that one started failing memory test at post too.
Now I am bit worried about putting any other memory modules on that motherboard...

Reply 1 of 29, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes is possible, once I had a motherboard (an OEM from Acer) that fried three or four modules until I figured out what's happening.

Look at the motherboard, specifically the area around the SIMM slots, and search for bulged capacitors, burned traces or things like that.

Reply 2 of 29, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shiva2004 wrote:

Yes is possible, once I had a motherboard (an OEM from Acer) that fried three or four modules until I figured out what's happening.

Look at the motherboard, specifically the area around the SIMM slots, and search for bulged capacitors, burned traces or things like that.

I did check it out the best I could and this was only thing I was able to find:

capacitor1.jpg
Filename
capacitor1.jpg
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The topmost capacitor does not seem as shiny as the others to me.
Anyone knows if that is just corrosion on top of the capacitor or if it is really broken?

Reply 4 of 29, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shiva2004 wrote:

It doesn't look good, that's for sure. What's the brand?
Also I don't know if it's the photo, but I don't like the look of the diodes just below it either.

Diodes are probably ok. At least my multimeter gave me a beep with each of them using diode test mode.

Reply 5 of 29, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It could be the board sends too much voltage to the simms and slowly kills them. It would be very unlikely that cap is to blame, it seems to me it's just a filtering one.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 29, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could broken cap cause the post memory test to fail even if the simm is working?
I don't have any other motherboard that likes 72pin EDO modules, so I can't test them.

Nevermind about what I said about beeping when I tested diodes. It beeped because I forgot to take off the RTC battery and it was giving diodes voltage before testing. It showed correct values for each diode after I removed the battery.

Reply 7 of 29, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I managed to find another motherboard that worked with EDO. It was actually a pentium motherboard that was actually older than the 486 motherboard.
I ran memtest86+ with the modules and I got hundreds of errors, so they must be broken. Now the main problem is how to find out if they were broken in the first place or did the 486 motherboard break them. Any ideas?

Reply 8 of 29, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

I managed to find another motherboard that worked with EDO. It was actually a pentium motherboard that was actually older than the 486 motherboard.
I ran memtest86+ with the modules and I got hundreds of errors, so they must be broken. Now the main problem is how to find out if they were broken in the first place or did the 486 motherboard break them. Any ideas?

None that don't involve sacrificial RAM.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 9 of 29, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Should it make any difference if the sacrificial ram is fpm or edo? Would edo break more easily than fpm?
I could buy some 4Mb fpm ram for 3 euros from ebay.
Too bad about those broken ram because it was the first time I saw 50ns ones. I have only seen 60ns or 70ns before.

Reply 11 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In case there is indeed any under- or over-volting going on.

Undervolting can't kill hardware and SIMMs are powered directly from 5v line, so PSU may be involved.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 12 of 29, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

Hang on... were you trying to run a 486 with EDO? Even though EDO is supposedly a backwards-compatible superset of Fast Page, it's very rare for a 486 to run reliably with EDO.

Conversely, maybe you're just mixing up your terms and it really is 72p FP, not EDO - and rated for a lower speed than the Pentium runs it at (eg 80ns or something).

Could you give exact specs of the SIMMs in question (or if unknown, the text on one of the memory chips on them)? And exactly which motherboards are you using?

Reply 13 of 29, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Hang on... were you trying to run a 486 with EDO? Even though EDO is supposedly a backwards-compatible superset of Fast Page, it […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:

Hang on... were you trying to run a 486 with EDO? Even though EDO is supposedly a backwards-compatible superset of Fast Page, it's very rare for a 486 to run reliably with EDO.

Conversely, maybe you're just mixing up your terms and it really is 72p FP, not EDO - and rated for a lower speed than the Pentium runs it at (eg 80ns or something).

Could you give exact specs of the SIMMs in question (or if unknown, the text on one of the memory chips on them)? And exactly which motherboards are you using?

This is the motherboard.

486 motherboard.jpg
Filename
486 motherboard.jpg
File size
1.81 MiB
Views
File license

And when I got it, it came with two 72 pin 16Mb 50ns edo ram modules. It says HTEC TBS6416B4C50 on the chips of the modules.
At least I know now that they are bad because of all the errors I got with memtest86+ with the socket 5 motherboard. Only thing I can't be sure of is if the motherboard broke them or if they were already bad when I got them.

Last edited by Baoran on 2018-11-01, 10:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 14 of 29, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

In case there is indeed any under- or over-volting going on.

Undervolting can't kill hardware and SIMMs are powered directly from 5v line, so PSU may be involved.

I did check the psu with multimeter before and both 5V and 12V were ok when measured from a molex connector.

Reply 15 of 29, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

This is the motherboard.

[...]

That doesn't look like Socket 5 to me...

And when I got it, it came with two 72 pin 16Mb 50ns edo ram modules. It says HTEC TBS6416B4C50 on the chips of the modules.
At least I know now that they are bad because of all the errors I got with memtest86+ with the socket 5 motherboard. Only thing I can't be sure of is if the motherboard broke them or if they were already bad when I got them.

No, you don't know they are bad. You know that you get errors in combination with this motherboard and its current settings. That could be beacuse they are dead/dying or because they - or the memory controller, or the onboard cache - are being run out of spec/capability.

Of course, 50ns is very, very fast, but there's something fishy about these chips which leads me to doubt the rating. I've never heard about "HTEC", but the rest of the chip code sounds familiar. "TB" is the vendor code for M-Tec, but it makes no sense beyond that:

TB = M-Tec
S = SDRAM (!?! EDO would have been "E")
64 = 64Mbit density
16 = x16 organisation
B4 = package type
C = die revision C
50 = good question, if it's SDRAM this makes no sense at all, but SDRAM in a 72p SIMM makes no sense either. So either this is wrong or the S is wrong or the whole chip code is nonsense.

Judging by this code, if this was a SIMM it should have two chips to get to 32 data lines, which would indeed come to 128Mb, so 16MB (I'm assuming your "16Mb" is a typo), but then it's an SDRAM SIMM, not EDO. Tbh, I'd expect 64Mx16 SDRAM chips in 64MB DIMMs, and then with latency between 7 and 10ns.

So this chip code screams "FAKE!" as it stands. That most definitely doesn't mean it's not broken, but I'd expect it to rather be some bargain basement 70ns or worse stuff relabled as 50ns.

Reply 16 of 29, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is LuckyStar LS486E, Revision D. Not EDO compatible.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17 of 29, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have that exact board and Mine works perfectly with EDO ram, it has I think the latest version of the SIS chipset that supports EDO.

http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486pci/ls486ed.htm

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 18 of 29, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
That doesn't look like Socket 5 to me... […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:

This is the motherboard.

[...]

That doesn't look like Socket 5 to me...

No, you don't know they are bad. You know that you get errors in combination with this motherboard and its current settings. That could be beacuse they are dead/dying or because they - or the memory controller, or the onboard cache - are being run out of spec/capability.

Of course, 50ns is very, very fast, but there's something fishy about these chips which leads me to doubt the rating. I've never heard about "HTEC", but the rest of the chip code sounds familiar. "TB" is the vendor code for M-Tec, but it makes no sense beyond that:

TB = M-Tec
S = SDRAM (!?! EDO would have been "E")
64 = 64Mbit density
16 = x16 organisation
B4 = package type
C = die revision C
50 = good question, if it's SDRAM this makes no sense at all, but SDRAM in a 72p SIMM makes no sense either. So either this is wrong or the S is wrong or the whole chip code is nonsense.

Judging by this code, if this was a SIMM it should have two chips to get to 32 data lines, which would indeed come to 128Mb, so 16MB (I'm assuming your "16Mb" is a typo), but then it's an SDRAM SIMM, not EDO. Tbh, I'd expect 64Mx16 SDRAM chips in 64MB DIMMs, and then with latency between 7 and 10ns.

So this chip code screams "FAKE!" as it stands. That most definitely doesn't mean it's not broken, but I'd expect it to rather be some bargain basement 70ns or worse stuff relabled as 50ns.

That picture was the original socket 3 motherboard that I suspected that broke the memory modules and gives memory test fail error at post. The socket 5 motherboard was a pentium motherboard that I used to try to verify if the edo ram modules that came with the socket 3 motherboard are really bad or not. Even if they passed the post memory test on the socket 5 motherboard, I got hundreds of errors in memtest86+. I would be really happy if there was nothing wrong with the socket 3 motherboard and it doesn't break any other ram I might try to use with it.
Not sure how I could test if the ram is actually fake or not. They have 3 of those Htec chips on both sides of the module and the text is very faint on most chips.

fake.jpg
Filename
fake.jpg
File size
1.69 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 19 of 29, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can't test whether it's a fake, you can just test different settings to determine its true capabilities, regardless of what is claimed by the inscription.

Given the photograph I'm pretty sure the inscription is fake:
- lousy print quality
- non-existent brand name similar to existing one
- nonsensical chip code

One interesting point: this is a parity SIMM (or at least it pretends to be). Do you have parity on or off in BIOS on the boards? And which So5 board are we talking about here?