User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Specs:

Motherboard: Aopen AX6BC
CPU: Slot 1 P3 933 MHZ 133 FSB
Nvidia GeForce 200 TI
Sound Blaster 16 ISA

I was playing SimCity 3000 Unlimited when all of a sudden I got one of those solid blue screens with text. No warnings, no reason. It just said "A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:<random letters/numbers> in VXD VMM(01)" and I had to reset my PC. I recently did a system recovery and replaced a VIA chipset slot 1 motherboard by ABIT, but I have absolutely no idea why it would do this. Already deleted ENUM key and did a system recovery and have had to reinstall programs. Also I did a scanreg /fix shortly after the error.

Does anyone know why this happens?

Reply 1 of 2, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't be sure, but my first thought is that VXD drivers can be bit more unstable than WDM drivers, so it could be just random crash related to VXD driver. For example if you are using sound blaster 16 with VXD drivers, it could cause such crash.
I could be wrong, but that is my first thought when getting error with VXD.

Reply 2 of 2, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So best advice is to look into a PCI sound card to work alongside with the ISA card? I tried a SB Live but it was a dell OEM one. If so I'll look into a Aureal Vortex 2 or something - but I want to use both sound cards if that's the case.