VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I have this ALR 7200 server board that has turned into a complete albatross. I can't fit it in anything, can't store it neatly, it's hard to even pick up and move around because the weight of the components flexes the board... I'd like to either get rid of it, or put it in something. Nobody's buying on my local site, so let's go with option 2.

The problem is it sticks up almost 3cm past the top of the I/O shield, so it doesn't fit in 99% of standard ATX minitowers which put the PSU right there (yellow arrow.) It's also a little under 31cm wide (red arrow) and the VRM for the second CPU slot sticks up pretty close to the right edge (blue arrow), which fouls the drive cage in a lot of typical cases.

smorgasbord-dimensions.jpg
Filename
smorgasbord-dimensions.jpg
File size
642.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
nope.jpg
Filename
nope.jpg
File size
105.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'd prefer to avoid giant monoliths on castors. Something roughly PowerMac G5-sized (or smaller!) that it slots into would be amazing. Don't feel like doing any heavy mods.

I think a Thermaltake Xaser III will fit this, but I had one of those and it was a big, clunky, heavy thing. (See my comment above about monoliths.) Also, people on my stupid island still seem to want $100+ for them.

Open to suggestions here! Both on housing and what to do with this thing in general.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 2, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a case where the power supply is mounted with only the screws on the back, my suggestion would be to use an SFX power supply with an ATX mounting bracket.

EDIT: Post #600.

Reply 2 of 2, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The dimensions / layout will certainly limit your choice but there are options - probably start by looking at chambered cube cases like the Corsair Air 540 or Air 740 which separate psu & drives away from the motherboard area.