VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just popped the Trident SVGA card in my Athlon XP Win98 PC and it works fine, though the video is a tad noisy for some reason. Kinda amusing using such an anemic card in it. It actually makes Epic Pinball run at the correct speed compared to the Radeon 9000 Pro I normally have in it. 🤣

Reply 21 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thepirategamerboy12 wrote:
Well, here's the inside of the dead PSU and other than it being dirty, I don't see anything really that awful other than a sligh […]
Show full quote

Well, here's the inside of the dead PSU and other than it being dirty, I don't see anything really that awful other than a slightly bulging capacitor. Probably shouldn't try using it again, though. I know after it popped there was a burning smell coming directly from the PSU. Also, the computer was actually still running even after the pop, fyi.

44795993065_ecd6c43928_o.jpg

30769583797_db780fe498_o.jpg

That PSU... seriously, you can do better.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 24, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But anyways, for now I've basically given up any hope of getting this board running. I just want to be able to use my NEC Ready again. Oh well. It was still worth the 5 dollar purchase for the CPU, cards, case, etc. One more quick question before I basically end this thread. I want to try out the P133 CPU from this board in my NEC Ready, which uses Socket 5, and this CPU should be compatible from what I've read. Sorry if this sounds kinda noobish, but how do I get this heat sink off without breaking anything? Thanks for all the help you guys have given me on this. 😀

43944008160_b10706e24d_o.jpg

Reply 24 of 24, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can't see the side of the socket but it looks like u need to insert something into that silver housing going down the socket and pull it outwards so it clips off the socket. I use a small screw driver but if it slips... yeah.

Also I would inspect the motherboard again top and bottom in good light maybye even with magnifying glass. It happened to me a few times I inspect a board and looks good then 2nd 3rd time notice a little burned or ripped trace.

Also.keep this in mind

Socket 7 has 321 pin holes arranged as 37 x 37 pin matrix. The socket has the same size as the Socket 5, but the socket 5 has only 320 pin holes. The extra pin on socket 7 processors is not electrically connected and it's main purpose is to prevent socket 7 processors to be inserted into socket 5 motherboards.

If its not going into your socket 5 easy don't push too hard