VOGONS

First post, by Technomancer21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Legend has it that there is forgotten ancient wisdom to be found here, I ask of ye gurus, for I am in need of thy sagely wisdom!

Okay, I had my fun with speech craft, but seriously, I've finally got my retro box reassembled and I've run into a brick wall trying to get the cdrom drive to work.
Now I am trying to use the IDE header on my soundcard to run the cdrom because my motherboard doesn't seem to like the cdrom and the fixed disk on the one cable.

Now before anyone says anything, I've already googled the problem I have, and I am fully aware that most early model soundcards did not infact have actual IDE headers but instead proprietary connections, my soundcard is an awe32 CT3910 and I can assure you all that it is most definitely an IDE header as labelled on the card and in the documents provided by creative (who knew they still had manuals and drivers available 😳)

Now that that's out of the way, the problem itself: whenever I have a cdrom connected to the soundcard, the system tries to use it as the default boot device. Always and without fail, it completely ignores the fixed disk present and configured in bios, and asks for a system disk instead of booting.
Now I may not have much experience with retro stuff but I'm pretty sure this isn't the right behaviour.
Just to be absolutely sure though, I connected my fixed disk to the soundcard instead of the mobo, and the system simply couldn't detect it at all. Yet when I boot the system with nothing connected to that header at all, it works like a charm and boots to dos without issue.

I find this very confusing...
Does anyone here have any idea what's going on?

Reply 1 of 7, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What IO port and IRQ have you configured the AWE32's ATAPI interface for? If it's 170,15 then it'd conflict with on-board secondary port and potentially cause hard disk detection issues, even if your system drive is on the primary port (1f0,15). Try setting it to the tertiary port, 1e8,11.

Hard drives will not be detected on the AWE32.

Also, we know with certainty it's an ATAPI controller on the AWE32, but what CD drive have you connected? And is pin 1 matched up correctly everywhere?

Reply 2 of 7, by Technomancer21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Forgive my late reply, I posted this before going to bed.
According to the jumper configuration, it's already in tertiary mode, but I have no idea how to tell what IO / IRQ it's on. As I have no idea if the previous owner used any custom configuration on it.

Reply 3 of 7, by Technomancer21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've managed to find some information on the card and it's configuration, and I've managed to confirm its on factory defaults. Tertiary mode and IDE IRQ 11.

I also made sure to line up the red painted wire on my ribbon cable with pin one, so unless they had wire printing backwards back in the day, I'm pretty sure I got that bit right.

The cd drive is the unknown here. It's a benq 2410A-534. That is the only model information on the device. It is however a cdrom burner so I'm wondering if that isn't causing some incompatibility?
I don't have any other optical drive with an IDE interface...

Reply 4 of 7, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Definitely IDE.
Maybe the additional electrical load is causing a problem. That drive should work on the same cable with the hard drive, so long as the right cable positions and jumpers (CS/SL/MA) are correct.

Do you have another system you can try the drive in? It may be something about the drive, rather than the card.

You could also make that drive the primary master (and ONLY) IDE drive and boot from a floppy diskette to see if the drive is detected, and if detected, that it can read CDs.

Reply 5 of 7, by Technomancer21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It may be noteworthy that I am using an IDE to CF card adaptor to serve as a fixed disk, as I couldn't get my hands on a functional ide drive under 2gb in size.

Unfortunately I don't have another functioning machine with an IDE controller to test the optical drive on. But I have secured access to another drive since my last reply.

I'm going to admit to something here, I have a vague idea of how cable select is supposed to work, but not a clue how to actually set it up. I know my way around master and slave pretty well though. But something tells me my cf card adaptor doesn't have a jumper configuration I can set. Have to look more at that at some point. But I figured I would ask here about the soundcard first because I honestly don't know much about the IDE controllers on them and how they are supposed to operate. I only know that it is definitely marked as IDE port, someone here mentioned its Atapi only, and I found a document online listing the various jumper configurations.

Reply 6 of 7, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Technomancer21 wrote:

I'm going to admit to something here, I have a vague idea of how cable select is supposed to work, but not a clue how to actually set it up.

Both drives must be set to Cable Select and then their position on the cable determines the master or slave-- master at the far end of the cable, slave on the middle connector. Use a known CS-compatible cable for it, to eliminate the guesswork the 80-wire/40-pin IDE UltraATA cable will be set up that way.

Reply 7 of 7, by Technomancer21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll give this a try but if it works then I'm going to need to find a whole new way to mount my cf card reader. I have a funky case design that is royally inconvenient. Was hoping to have the cf card mounted on the backplane so I could pull it out without dismantling the case, but if I can't get the soundcard port to work and cable select becomes my only option, damn. I'll have to see what sorcery I can do to fit it in behind the front bay speakers.