VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I disable USB ports in bios in my Asus A8V deluxe system, I get error USB Device Over Current Status Detected System Will Shut Down After 15 Seconds during post and it will shut down and only way to get past it is to clear cmos with a jumper which will re-enable the usb ports. There are no usb devices connected and even disconnecting the case front usb ports from the motherboard didn't help. Only things connected to the pc are the vga cable and a ps/2 keyboard. The reason why I wanted to disable the usb ports was that I was hoping it would free up some resources in dos like Phil did in one of his videos.

Reply 1 of 6, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If USB ports are enabled don't you get this error, do you?
Then maybe there's a new version of BIOS on Asus web site that fixes the error...

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 2 of 6, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you Googled this problem? I did, and the first result goes into the problem in detail with a couple of solutions.

Google Search

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, no errors if they are enabled and that is why clearing cmos helps because it enables the usb ports again. The motherboard already has the newest 1018.002 bios. If anyone else has the same motherboard, it would be nice if you could test disabling usb ports to see if there is something wrong with the motherboard or if this is just a feature. I assume rev 1 and rev 2 of this motherboard both use the same bios updates?

Reply 4 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fitzpatr wrote:

Have you Googled this problem? I did, and the first result goes into the problem in detail with a couple of solutions.

Google Search

I have done that before and the solutions I have found don't apply because they seem to assume I have usb devices connected or I have front panel usb ports connected to the header on the motherboard.

Reply 5 of 6, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not at all. That it happens only when you disable USB doesn't mean that one of these won't fix your problem. One recommends that you alter the AGP Aperture size to 256MB, and another talks about cleaning all of the USB ports with compressed air. Yet another describes problems with a faulty RAM stick. Another in a different page has this problem because he was missing a jumper connector.

It seems like this board really likes giving this error. There is also the possibility that the ICH has a problem, or something else involved in the USB circuit, but let's hope not.

Hopefully, one of these will help. Which version of BIOS are you using?

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 6 of 6, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fitzpatr wrote:

Not at all. That it happens only when you disable USB doesn't mean that one of these won't fix your problem. One recommends that you alter the AGP Aperture size to 256MB, and another talks about cleaning all of the USB ports with compressed air. Yet another describes problems with a faulty RAM stick. Another in a different page has this problem because he was missing a jumper connector.

It seems like this board really likes giving this error. There is also the possibility that the ICH has a problem, or something else involved in the USB circuit, but let's hope not.

Hopefully, one of these will help. Which version of BIOS are you using?

I use the newest 1018.002 bios. AGP aperture size is 256MB by default so that setting stays even after cmos clear. I have tested that there is no problems with ram. I also couldn't find any case online where disabling usb ports in bios caused the problem. Probably not many people disable their USB ports. I saw one case where someone went from bios 1017 back to bios 1015 and that fixed the problem but that didn't say anything about disabling usb ports in bios either. Also the older 1015 bios doesn't support the cpu that I have.