VOGONS

First post, by phoenix_fire512

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I've been a lurker for awhile now, and finally signed up now that I am having trouble figuring out the correct jumper settings for my newly-acquired CPU. It is an Am486DX2-66V16BGC (3.3 volts, 16KB write-back cache) going in my ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 motherboard. For reference, the CPU that was in it was a plain Intel 486DX2 66 MHz.

The manual I originally downloaded for my motherboard is almost for sure meant for an earlier revision, as it refers to some jumper that I don't have for setting the voltage. I did a bit more research and found what I believe is the correct manual for my revision (in a VOGONS download). I've also seen it mentioned in other posts here that my board revision has voltage auto-detection, although confusingly it seems the voltage can still be affected by jumper positions to some degree for a few cases. I'm also not sure what CPU "type" to treat this as, as this CPU doesn't seem to quite fit in any of the mentioned types in the manual.

Now admittedly, I could just turn it on and assume that the voltage auto-detection will work properly with this CPU and just start guessing which settings are going to work (and hopefully not accidentally set the CPU multiplier too high), but honestly I'm hesitant simply because I don't want to risk damaging this CPU (which I wanted specifically because it's a later Am486 made on a 0.35 micron process and so runs extremely cool for its performance level). I wanted to at least see if anyone else here might have an idea what the correct settings are first. If no one does then I'll just suck it up and start experimenting and report my results back here. I have relevant pictures in an album linked below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K11xsqXLNsYbGSBA8

Reply 2 of 2, by phoenix_fire512

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That's AMD DX4 100mhz.

Gotcha, thanks! I did not see that thread earlier when searching... and it mentions this CPU being like the "Am5x86 133ADZ" too (basically just an underclocked version). This should help.