VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 486dx4 VLB motherboard that can support up to 100mhz CPU.
Purpose of build: A very good and stable 486 VLB computer without over-clocking.
OS - DOS 6.2 / Win-3.11

What type RAM should I use ?
What CPU type ?
What VLB Graphics card ?
Is there a VLB sound card ?
I have a UMC VLB controller or should I use another type ?
Should I use a SCSI controller ?

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-11-29, 20:28. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 18, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you really though? What’s the motherboard? Do you have a picture of it? Have you googled any of this stuff? What will you be doing with it?

Put some effort in man.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a Gigabyte GA-486vs.
http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/47/486vs8a.pdf

Like this one. It has 512kb of Cache and I will need to replace the CMOS barrel battery.

Attachments

• Gigabyte mobo.JPG
    Filename
    Gigabyte mobo.JPG
    File size
    137.03 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Gigabyte GA-486vs
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 18, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think he meant that you should take a picture of your own motherboard.
Honestly, I don't think you even have the motherboard.

For things that I use 486 for ultimate 486 would be one with 33Mhz cpu, so you have to decide what you want to use it for and then it is better to choose what is ultimate for that purpose.

Reply 4 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just want to put together a very good and stable 486dx-100 computer for a DOS 6.2 and Win3.11
I have not received the motherboard yet. I just bought it.
It has a CPU but I don't know what kind.
I also have a UMC, Windbond, and Goldstar Prime VLB controllers.
Should I use Intel or AMD CPU or other ?
What type and speed ram ?
And What graphics card is best ?
I would like this computer to perform optimal and stable.

Reply 5 of 18, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Put some effort in man.

+1. So we start over again. Was there nothing useful here?:
486 VLB build advice ?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 6 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:
badmojo wrote:

Put some effort in man.

+1. So we start over again. Was there nothing useful here?:
486 VLB build advice ?

Okay, So what type of ram and speed should I use ?

Reply 7 of 18, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Assuming the motherboard you liked to is the one you have,
look on pages 10 and 17 of the motherboard manual you linked to.

Intel486dx33 wrote:

It looks to me like you need 72-pin SIMM going by your motherboard picture.

The manual says the maximum memory is 128 MB (page 17 of the manual) but you wouldn't need that much for a DOS computer. I'd go with 16 MB, but I don't think more would hurt.

I never heard of a VLB sound card.

For a VLB video card, I've only used Diamond Speedstar and Cirrus Logic and both were fine.

Reply 9 of 18, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote:

im amazed you have 700+ posts for somebody that joined 6 months ago but they all always ask pretty much the same stuff

Yeah. At this point, his post count is higher than mine by ~112 posts and I've been around here for nearly two years. 😜

Reply 10 of 18, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
skitters wrote:
Assuming the motherboard you liked to is the one you have, look on pages 10 and 17 of the motherboard manual you linked to. […]
Show full quote

Intel486dx33 wrote:

The manual says the maximum memory is 128 MB (page 17 of the manual) but you wouldn't need that much for a DOS computer. I'd go with 16 MB, but I don't think more would hurt.

For a VLB video card, I've only used Diamond Speedstar and Cirrus Logic and both were fine.

Is there a certain brand and speed of ram that is more reliable with a 100mhz. CPU ?

Reply 11 of 18, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote:

im amazed you have 700+ posts for somebody that joined 6 months ago but they all always ask pretty much the same stuff

I've been noticing this too. How many builds do you have now OP? I've been seeing these same threads for months and months now where you just post a bunch of short one line questions about a prospective build.

Are you just piecing them together online for fun or are you actually building all of these countless machines?

As for the machine, as always it comes down to budget, but the recommendations will be the same as every other proposed VLB rig:
1. 8-16MB of 50-70ns FPM ram will be fine, drop the wait states as low as you can without going unstable. Note that the ram is tied to your bus speed, not the internal CPU, so you're still likely running 33mhz bus with a DX4-100, same as a DX-33 or DX2-66. Phil did a good video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlQXS1VrFUQ
2. Budget: Cirrus Logic CL-GD5428, unlimited funds: Tseng ET4000/w32i (or p), Ati mach 64, S3 86X/96X.
3. I believe VLB sound cards may have been made, I've never seen one, but I couldn't possibly see the need for that much bandwidth on a time period card besides some crazy high end wave table device. Anything from a SB Pro II CT1600 up to an Awe64 Gold or ESS audiodrive will be suggested to you here, just like in any other build.
4. UMC VLB controller is fine as long as it works, maybe consider an extra ISA serial card if you need more external i/o.
5. I wouldn't use SCSI unless I already had SCSI drives that I felt like using with the rig or was looking for a bench monster, IDE is less hassle and easy to find cheap drives.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 12 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
skitters wrote:
Assuming the motherboard you liked to is the one you have, look on pages 10 and 17 of the motherboard manual you linked to. […]
Show full quote

Intel486dx33 wrote:

Is there a certain brand and speed of ram that is more reliable with a 100mhz. CPU ?

Are you even reading any of the replies people write for you??

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BeginnerGuy wrote:
treeman wrote:

I've been noticing this too. How many builds do you have now OP? I've been seeing these same threads for months and months now where you just post a bunch of short one line questions about a prospective build.

Are you just piecing them together online for fun or are you actually building all of these countless machines?

Feel free to report spammers in the "Spam spam spam" thread, link is in my signature 🤣

And just ftr, I don't know this person here.
Asking questions by itself is of course nothing illegal or anything. But it does beg the question what his intentions are and what he is doing here.
I mean, why ask if you don't even want an answer? It's weird! 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 18, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't want to jump to conclusions or make accusations but 3 possible things come to my mind
1. increasing the post count for a very specific task in the future
2. Maybye doesn't mean any harm at all but some kind of mental disability and trouble communicating/making human contact
3. A very advanced ai bot working of the same material with modification/improvement from previous interactions

I am leaning toward number 2 the most

Reply 15 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:
I have a 486dx4 VLB motherboard that can support up to 100mhz CPU. Purpose of build: A very good and stable 486 VLB computer wi […]
Show full quote

I have a 486dx4 VLB motherboard that can support up to 100mhz CPU.
Purpose of build: A very good and stable 486 VLB computer without over-clocking.
OS - DOS 6.2 / Win-3.11

What type RAM should I use ?

You should use a type of RAM that will work with your board. Consult your motherboard manual or find an online manual to determine what memory modules are supported by your particular motherboard.

What CPU type ?

You should use a CPU that will work with your motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual or find an online manual to determine what memory modules are supported by your particular motherboard.

What VLB Graphics card ?

You should use a VLB card that will work with your motherboard. Read the motherboard manual as it will (or at least should) contain all the information you need to correctly install your VLB card into your particular system.

Is there a VLB sound card ?

Possibly. I don't know of any, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me as ISA was basically the to-go-to slot solution for sound cards at that time.
There may be some combo cards, but it is probably virtually impossible to be not unlikely that you actually have such a combo card in your stack of spare parts already, else you'd not need for to be asking us this question in the first place.

I have a UMC VLB controller or should I use another type ?

You should consult your motherboard manual, in case you are uncertain as to which controller cards are compatible with your particular UMC VLB controller.
It is advisable to also consult your UMB VLB controller's manual.

Should I use a SCSI controller ?

Only if you intend to use any SCSI stuff.

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
treeman wrote:

I don't want to jump to conclusions

I think this is the wisest thing for us to do and I'd prefer to not jump the gun.

If he is a spammer, he should be dealt with and there are ways for this.
If he is not a spammer...then just let him be. Unless he starts breaking some other rules or whatever. In the end this is not our task here anyway.
But it is ok to wonder, I think 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 18, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

His posts are all harmless, he's certainly not an AI (unless we DO live in the matrix 😜 ) , he also posts very nice pictures.

Maybe we're just so used to 486 builds that the information that is easy for us to grasp is confusing for others. I do note however that he joined with a 486 build and has since had multiple 486 threads or projects where I feel like we've answered the same things before? I could just be going nuts. It makes me wonder how many 486 threads I opened when I first came back to retro computing, if anybody remembers how many broken parts I went through before I finally got it going.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?