VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve recently started testing out Windows ME for the first time on actual hardware. So far everything seems to run just fine. The one issue I have recently ran into though is the fact that it will not turn off the computer when I shut it down. It will go through the process but then just freeze at a black screen but the machine is still on. Also, a restart takes a verrryyy long time as well. Anyone ever had this issue and possibly know a fix or some things to look into?

Reply 1 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hardware specifications? Any SCSI devices connected?

Reply 2 of 5, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Most common issue with slow load/reboot or no shutdown either network or DMA on IDE HDDs. So remove NIC, check HDD, disable DMA, try different IDE driver.

Reply 3 of 5, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks I will try those things and check back in.

Specs:800mhz Pentium III, Voodooo 3500TV, Sb Live!, 3Com NIC, using a SD to IDE adapter with a 32gb card, and no SCSI

Reply 4 of 5, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had issues like that back in the day with windows 98 on a board (don't remember what board it was). IIRC it was incompatibilities between the ACPI implementation in the BIOS and the windows ACPI drivers. If it is that, the solution could be a BIOS update. Microsoft was known back them for their, lets say, "controversial" adherence to ACPI standards and BIOS manufactures did tune their ACPI tables to try and fit microsofts, lets say, "interpretation" of ACPI. The result were odd bugs and behaviors related to power savings features and soft power off is part of that, since it generally is enabled by ACPI.

Reply 5 of 5, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I have fixed it. It may have been a dumb mistake on my part. I went ahead and enabled DMA on the Hard Drive. Then I realized I still had a flash drive plugged into the rear of the computer from when I was transferring drivers over. Soooo, it may have been just the flash drive preventing a clean shutdown but it may have been the DMA setting. Either way, it works now so I'm not gonna press my luck trying to figure out what really did the trick 🤣.