VOGONS

First post, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just purchased a Thinkpad 770 (just a plain 770, not an ED or anything) today (for parts) and bought everything I needed for it total for a combined cost of $115 (laptop itself (which had no HDD equipped or anything in the Ultrabay), CD-drive, ext. floppy drive, hard drive + caddy, feel like I spent too much ngl).

First inquiry: the 5.1GB hard drive I got for the 770 was for the 770E. Would my default 770 act up if I just plopped it in there? That's because I don't think it was wiped, so idk if that's a problem.

Second inquiry: Is the floppy drive model "05K8890" compatible with my 770? It has the same Molex connector end as the default 770 one, but it's newer so I'm a little worried (770 one was too expensive). I'm using it as an external FDD btw.

Third inquiry: Are there any .iso files which have ALL the default 770 drivers (more convenient), in case the hard drive actually has none already installed?

That's really it.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 1 of 4, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The bays on the 770 series are Ultrabay 2 which is pretty much only used for the 770 series and its dock. the 05K8890 is for the Ultraslimbay.

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay

Both the 770 and 770E use the Trident Cyber9397 video chip and the CS4237B Audio chip so drivers should work fine (chipset is probably different since one is Pmmx and other is P2).

Join forums.thinkpads.com , they have all the drivers available for download for all the old models plus discussions on everything you will need (no ISO).

so you spent $115 for a non working parts machine missing parts?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 4, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:
The bays on the 770 series are Ultrabay 2 which is pretty much only used for the 770 series and its dock. the 05K8890 is for the […]
Show full quote

The bays on the 770 series are Ultrabay 2 which is pretty much only used for the 770 series and its dock. the 05K8890 is for the Ultraslimbay.

https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay

Both the 770 and 770E use the Trident Cyber9397 video chip and the CS4237B Audio chip so drivers should work fine (chipset is probably different since one is Pmmx and other is P2).

Join forums.thinkpads.com , they have all the drivers available for download for all the old models plus discussions on everything you will need (no ISO).

so you spent $115 for a non working parts machine missing parts?

I'm using the 05K8890 as an external FDD, it has the same molex connector and everything, I'm just wondering if it works as an external FDD.

I spent $115 on the laptop and the parts.

I paid $76 for the laptop, which technically worked, but it had no HDD, caddy, or anything in the Ultrabay. But the catch is that it came with 3 batteries, and 1 or 2 of them hold a charge. That, and I taught myself how to rebuild batteries even if they don't work. All the "working" 770s on the Bay had no working batteries, and I wanted one that had working batteries, without forking over $100 for just the batteries themselves of course.

I paid $39 total for a CD drive, hard drive and caddy, and an external floppy disk drive.

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 4 of 4, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member