VOGONS

First post, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys
I tried fitting a PCI-e Radeon X1600 Pro to my HP Compaq dc7600 slimline desktop using a PCI-e extender cable so I can mount the graphic card horizontally. However when I fit the X1600 the fan spins on the card but I don't get any video from the SVGA connector. The onboard intel svga still works and the PC boots to Windows XP. I can't see the X1600 in the control panel and can't see anything obvious in the BIOS relating to enabling or disabling the PCI-e slot.

I thought maybe the X1600 or the extender cable was faulty so I tried it in my Windows 10 PC. The graphic card is recognised and I get video output even though i didn't install any drivers. It works with or without the extender cable.

I then tried installing the Radeon 1600 drivers for Windows XP on the dc7600 but it says there is no compatible hardware detected, with the X1600 Pro fitted.

I noticed today that the desktop PC at my workshop (Celeron of some type on an Asus mobo with Windows 7) has a low profile Geforce GT610 fitted , though I don't use it for games.

So I brought the GT610 home thinking maybe there was some compatibility issue with the X1600 but I have exactly the same stupid problem with that card too. The GT610 fan spins but I get no output from the SVGA connector on it, and the onboard intel graphics SVGA is still working.

There is an option to disable the IRQ to the onboard intel VGA in the BIOS but I was a bit worried if I try that I may not get any video at all and would not be able to set it back again so I didn't try it.

I have tried loading BIOS defaults. I posted on HP Support board yesterday but not had any responses.

You lot seem far more helpful, soes anyone here have any idea what could be causing the problem?

best regards
Richard

Reply 1 of 4, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In desperation I found a PCI-e Soundblaster card and inserted that to see what would happen. The computer boots to Windows XP but does not detect any new hardware

It appears the PCI-e slot is disabled. How do I enable it?

Reply 2 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought this would be a simple case of disabling the onboard, quick google shows your not first in this situation.

This site as a few working cards, annoyingly the GT610 is mentioned!?
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archiv … ion/td-p/127041
Quite a few people mention working after updating the BIOS, maybe check your running the latest?

You posted the sound card bit just as I was typing this, um I'm not sure you really can?
I'd still go with updating the bios and seeing how you go. Got a few of these at work (running 100% stock) will see if I can get my hands on one next week when on site

Reply 3 of 4, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting.

From what I remember, there ought to be some form of setting in the BIOS, telling the computer from which part of the motherboard to initialize the video first. AGP (or integrated graphics, as these most of the times sit on the internal AGP bus), PCI or PEG (PCI-e extended graphics).

That being said you already said there was no obvious option visible that would turn the port off (and there rarely are any).
I remember that my ThinkCentre would ignore the dedicated graphics card if slotted, if this setting remained at AGP (internal).
Only switching this setting to PEG made it not ignore the dedicated graphics card.

Maybe a setting to switch between the graphics to be initialized will pop up after a BIOS update?

Reply 4 of 4, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys thanks for the suggestions

The BIOS is 786D1 v01.61 which I think is the latest

I also found some tech support posts referring to GT610 being compatible with this computer and also X1600XT being offered as an option by HP back in the day mentioned here on page 15 http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/12253_na.pdf and elsewhere. So I find it extra annoying I can't get it to work. Surely it should not be this difficult