VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I used up all three PCI slots in my K6-2 build and didn't manage to get an ethernet card in. I still have a couple of ISA 10BT network cards lying around, but considering how much time I spent tweaking the crap out of that thing to optimize its performance, I'm hesitant to use one.

I really only need it to FTP files back & forth over my local network, and maybe connect to a (self-hosted) dedicated game server now & then. I'm not going to take this thing on the internet.

Will having an old ISA card in the machine slow things down? I.e. is there any overhead from the driver talking over the ISA bus that will kill performance, even when it's not being used? I'm running Win98SE.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You'll only get the slowdown when significant network traffic is being handled (you actually transfer data), otherwise no.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 2, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since you have a NEC USB 2.0 card and are using the system with Win98SE, you might actually be better off with a usb-ethernet adapter. You could get ~7-8MB/s out of one, while you wouldn't hit above 1MB/s with a 10BT ISA card. However, AFAIK, DOS and usb-ethernet wouldn't work.