VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently bought an external tape backup drive made by APS at a flea market for $20. It's an old SCSI drive, I'm going to assume that it uses 80-pin SCSI, because the cables that it uses are quite large and robust, in both the connectors and the gauge of the cables. I got lucky enough to also manage to get the cables needed for it when I bought it, and even an adapter so that it can work with my SCSI card that I already have- a PCI Adaptec one from 1994 (the guy selling it had a huge amount of vintage stuff- it was just all really dirty, and the functionality on most of it is dubious, though this one seems to work).

Everything for the hardware is working just fine- the drive powers on, does a little dance on the LEDs at the front, and goes into standby. The PC even detected it, but that's where the problems started- it has no drivers integrated. This is Windows 98 SE. I have tried searching online for it, and there is pretty much zero documentation for this thing, let alone drivers. The only information I can get from it is that it's the "Model # 2147-024P". I can't really give a clear indication of the age from it, but gauging from the use of 80-pin SCSI, it's probably fairly old, maybe from around 1993 or 1994.

Windows 98 SE saw the Adaptec card and installed the drivers for it, so that's ready to go. It's just the tape drive that's the issue- I can't really find anything about it online. I can't really use it right now, but I'd at least like to get the computer to recognize it. Later on, I'll buy some tapes for it, that is, if I can figure out exactly what kind of tape this takes. Here's some photos of the drive in question:

IMG_20190105_152103.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190105_152103.jpg
File size
809.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20190105_152337.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190105_152337.jpg
File size
555.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 7, by Maeslin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I could find here and on wikipedia, it's a DDS3 tape drive. 12GB uncompressed per tape, 24 compressed in a best-case.
Does it show anything at all in device manager, or just 'unknown device'?

Reply 2 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It actually shows the device as a "Sony SDT-9000," so this is most likely one of those situations where I'll need to just get the drivers for the tape drive itself, rather than the whole unit. I'll grab some DDS3 tapes for it, and see if I can backup something. Not sure what I'd be backing up- I never get things like this to actually use them, I just end up messing around with them. Who knows? I might be able to get a Win98 install backed up onto it or something. The drive also has an internal fan on the back for some reason. It doesn't seem to spin when the drive is idle, so it might only spin up when the tape drive actually starts reading or writing to a tape.

When the SCSI BIOS initiates, it also flashes the same brand and model number briefly before the PC continues to boot. I was also wondering, what is DaT (Digital Active Termination)? Is that just how the SCSI disables the pass-through option on the drive? I know SCSI is capable of daisy-chaining, and the option appears to be enabled or disabled through a dip switch in between the two SCSI ports. There's also this weird counter on the back that goes from 0 to 6, and there's two little switches that can increase or decrease the number. I am honestly unsure of the usage of that. This is my first experience with SCSI, internal or external, which is why I was excited to get this drive in the first place- I wanted to see what SCSI was like, but I also actually wanted to use the SCSI card that I've had sitting in a box for almost a year now.

Where am I?

Reply 3 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tape drives don't work like usual disk drives, usually are driven by backup software. You'll need to install some backup software (i.e.: Veritas) and then copy/retrieve files using that program. If you connect it to a NT system (NT 4, Windows 2000 or XP), you can use ntbackup that came with your system.

Keep on mind that tape files are a sequential media meant to do backups. They work like an archiver (zip, 7z) making a big chunk of data from smaller files and dumping it to the tape. When reding, you may extract individual files, but the tape will read the header first, then advance the tape to the location of files and read those files. Everything is managed by the software... so it won't appear as a normal drive on your computer.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 7, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As Zup allready wrote, Win98 is not designed to detect tape drives.
Problem is most backup software is not free.
There was a test software from hp called HP library and tape tools than can be used to check the drive.
Booting a Linux live CD is another option to check if the drive is working.
Or try www.uranium-backup.com Did not test it myself so I am not sure if the free version has any constrains and its XP and up only.

Other options for backup software are:
Sytos+ for DOS/Win
Colorado Backup
Cheyenne Arcsolo (Arcserve is the name of the server solution)

eisapc

Reply 5 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 actually does have an integrated tape backup program, and it apparently supports a large majority of tape drives without requiring the use of drivers. Kugee recently made a video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LlqUE-Jl0&t=51s

In case this doesn't work, I do own an original copy of Colorado Backup on a CD I got with a bunch of others a while back. I might even have another kind of backup software lying around somewhere.

Where am I?

Reply 6 of 7, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
athlon-power wrote:

... The drive also has an internal fan on the back for some reason. It doesn't seem to spin when the drive is idle, so it might only spin up when the tape drive actually starts reading or writing to a tape.

If the drive has an internal power supply (I assume it does, though I can't see from the photos) and not an AC adapter, the fan is mainly for cooling that power supply. It would be worth checking to see if the fan is stuck or something.

Btw,

athlon-power wrote:

Athlon XP 3200+ (Socket 754), 512MB DDR-400, rest unknown, ca. 2003

XP would be Socket 462. (Earlier) Athlon 64s use 754. Both were around in 2003, though.

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For testing NT flavor may be easier, Win98 does have support, but NT branch has alot more native drives support. Although if you can find a Win98 Sony SDT-9000 driver I also rekon your set.

as for the little number, that is used to pick the ID if it was daisy chained, 6 is the common default for tape drives but as its your only scsi device move it to any number its not really going to make any difference.