VOGONS

Voodoo 2 SLI cooling situation.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One more question, do both voodoo 2 cards get equally hot in SLI?
I could put the pci sound card to the bottom pci slot too above the ISA sound card instead of between the cards if it makes any difference.

Reply 21 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No idea about temperature differences. But I think you should keep it simple and providing optimalized airflow is the better way to go imo. Even if you stick sinks to the chips you can not know if that really makes a difference - sinks look fancy but do they really bring the chip temp down ? The big fan in front of the sli setup functions fine, it is almost silent and you can clearly feel air flowing out of the pocket in between the cards on both sides. No idea how functional it actually is in terms of chip temp but at least my conscience is clean 😀

Reply 22 of 34, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

One more question, do both voodoo 2 cards get equally hot in SLI?
I could put the pci sound card to the bottom pci slot too above the ISA sound card instead of between the cards if it makes any difference.

I did a bit of an experiment few years ago, my cards were directly under each other

Voodoo 2 Temperatures

Reply 23 of 34, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 2 case fans arrived today. I think they made a difference because I can hold my finger on the voodoo2 chips without burning my finger while running 3dmark01se.

Reply 24 of 34, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Baoran wrote:

The 2 case fans arrived today. I think they made a difference because I can hold my finger on the voodoo2 chips without burning my finger while running 3dmark01se.

Where/how did you install them?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 25 of 34, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

You shouldn't touch a chip, and definitely not wile its running.

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 26 of 34, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mr. horse wrote:
Baoran wrote:

You shouldn't touch a chip, and definitely not wile its running.

Why not? It is bit difficult to try measuring temperature between cards otherwise when they don't have any temperature sensors.

Reply 27 of 34, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just make sure you have one hand on the case at all times. Don't ground yourself!

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 28 of 34, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't touch the stuff without having anti static wrist strap, so that is not a problem.
I just wondered if there was real reason not to touch them like for example they don't like the finger prints that people leave behind or something.

Reply 29 of 34, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

Why not? It is bit difficult to try measuring temperature between cards otherwise when they don't have any temperature sensors.

Laser Thermometer is what you want. Very cheap these days.

Reply 30 of 34, by NostalgicAslinger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is my solution for cooling the Voodooo 2 cards, a 90 mm fan @7V in front of the cards.

dsc_0210wdi1k.jpg

Last edited by NostalgicAslinger on 2019-01-08, 23:17. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 31 of 34, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiroyster wrote:
Baoran wrote:

Laser Thermometer is what you want. Very cheap these days.

I actually thought about buying one, but wouldn't it be difficult to aim at the chips in tight spaces between the cards?

Reply 33 of 34, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

I wouldn't touch the stuff without having anti static wrist strap, so that is not a problem.
I just wondered if there was real reason not to touch them like for example they don't like the finger prints that people leave behind or something.

The oil from your skin can be adsorbed by the chip.

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 34 of 34, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mr. horse wrote:
Baoran wrote:

The oil from your skin can be adsorbed by the chip.

How they are absorbed through the plastic housing that silicon has?