VOGONS

First post, by dickkickem

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not the most experienced with factory restoring old hardware, and this is my first time doing this, so I'm going to need some step by step help here.

So I got a Thinkpad 770, burned my own 770 recovery disk, and I have a really old bootable Norton Commander floppy for Windows 95 that I use as a boot disk to go into DOS. The 5.1GB IDE HDD has no OS on it ATM, as I wiped the hard drive clean (it had Win2000, too lazy to buy more RAM so it can boot into it properly, so I just wiped it).

When I tried to go through the whole recovery process with only the recovery disk, on the second part of the recovery process, I got "Error Reading Drive Z:," and I was told to put a boot disk in my system, as that would fix it so DOS reorders the drive letters properly so that my ext. FDD is read as A: instead of B: or whatever it was. So I got that working, and the FDD is read as A:, and I have volumes B: (for the floppy disk again), C: (for the hard drive), and then I have D: and E: which apparently have nothing on them, so I can't seem to find a way to get into my CD drive. I went all the way up alphabetically to see if my CD drive was under any weird partition letter and I only seemed to have A:, B:, C:, D:, and E:.

Can anyone enlighten me on what to do?

I'm also thinking I screwed up my boot order too (FDD1, FDD2, CD Drive, then HDD, I wasn't 100% sure if my external floppy drive would be 1 or 2), does anyone have a screenshot of one that would be perfect for this scenario?

@oeuvre I remember a thread in which you restored one of these, how did you do so?

DOS game collection
YouTube
Instagram

My vintage rigs:
Fujitsu Lifebook E330 - Working w/ Win95
Fujitsu Lifebook C352 - Nonworking 🙁
HP Pavilion A520N - Working w/ WinXP
AST Ascentia M 5260X - Working w/ WinME
IBM ThinkPad 770 - Working w/ Win2K

Reply 1 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need a CDROM driver to see the CD drive in DOS. If you are booting an official recovery bootdisk, I expect it will have it included, but if it's some custom floppy you created or got elsewhere, it may not have a driver, or have one incompatible with the specific drive in the laptop...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 3, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Hm I'm trying to remember... I think I booted off a bootable MS-DOS 6.22 CD-ROM

I read this post of yours five times trying to find the pun or hidden humor, and found nothing. Then I realized that this is a serious thread and you were actually helping. Stop violating me... er, my expectations like that! 🤣

P.S. Short of a bootable DOS CD-ROM, any bootable Win9x installation media should do, and might be easier to find...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys