VOGONS

First post, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi!

Building old computers, often i get motherboards and processors and motherboards with processors, but there's almost never a cooler with them.
From that, i have found myself lacking those coolers and preventing me to eventually finish some builds.

I know that from eBay, one can buy them for ~15$. At the same time, cooler + heatsink from china would cost ~3$. But the latter one would not have proper clips for attaching the cooler.

Is there any easy and cheap way to somehow get or make good cooling solutions for 486 and pentium machines?

Thank you!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 6, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As long as the area closest to the socket isn't populated with capacitors or other tall components, socket 370 and socket A heatsinks usually fits on socket 7 boards. They might not be cheaper, but it's always nice to have more options 😀

They're generally much larger than socket 5/7 coolers too, so you can run the fan at much lower speeds, or even go fanless, for less noise.

Reply 3 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I stocked up by buying bulk lots of coolers. Now I have so many that I probably will never need to buy coolers for old machines again.

Much cheaper to go that route than to buy them one by one.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

I stocked up by buying bulk lots of coolers. Now I have so many that I probably will never need to buy coolers for old machines again.

Much cheaper to go that route than to buy them one by one.

This is what I ended up doing. And still, I have so many old heatsinks laying around, once you have a good stock you can mix and match to whatever are your needs.
It's very fitting 😀

TheMobRules wrote:

For socket 3, if you get a heatsink of the adequate size, you can bend a paperclip so that it latches to the tabs on the sides of the socket.

I like this idea. Do you have any pics? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 6, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Artic silver thermal adhesive, used it on my k6-2 when the old CPU socket got brittle and a clip broke off, works quite well