VOGONS

First post, by RetroFyre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I saw a recent post that a board I own, an MSI Max AC Z97, will support a Windows XP install, so long as you use "older chipset drivers." Now call me old fashioned, but this sounds like an awful thing to do to a machine. But maybe I just don't understand what I'm talking about.

From what I understand, the Z68, and by extension Z77 were the absolute last chipsets to support XP for intel. And really, X58 is the reasonable end for XP support. However this is tantalizing to me, because I did want to build an XP machine for supersampling, EAX and XP problematic titles like Crysis and Doom3. Right now, my Z97 box is for Vista, 7, 8 & 10. Almost everything is in 10, but a couple scraglers live in the other boots until they find ports, stable patches etc. I do not want to emulate EAX when I can run it directly on XFI hardware. That is my purpose for the XP box primarily.

If I'm going to have another box, I'd prefer I have a cutting edge RTX box and then this Z97 setup which would go from XP-10, with a GTX780ti SLI setup. The XP boot can only handle one of them, but that's PLENTY. And for the 7+ stuff, having SLI GTX780ti is no slouch setup.

But this all comes down to how hacky using a Z97 board is. I have a Z77 Sabertooth, but again, the less machines, the better. That being said, I don't like switching hardware. I always prefer to run KVMs and multiple boxes.

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see why it would be a problem. I would do it except that I don't have a Z97 setup. I will most likely be making a multi-boot X79 based system though once I get my X99 upgrade done on my main computer.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 3, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) GTX Titan/Titan Black support Win XP.
2) GTX Titan X (Maxwell), works with modded drivers.
3) X79 does support is Windows XP.
4) Z390 Dark from EVGA is latest board with WinXP support (it has SATA controller that supports it, and few tweaks under the hood).

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you mean terrible as in nothing will fully use the system then you are right. just as no WinXP games really need an XFI.

But just as the XFI even though overpowered works fine in XP, so will this setup. I'd even suggest that it's probably more power efficient as well.