VOGONS

Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V

Topic actions

First post, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I keep getting an "Invalid Configuration Information" error every time I boot up the machine. I've gone through all of the configuration settings and it all appears correct. There are some switches on the mb and I only found 1 jumper (I think that's the cmos reset). Not sure what the problem is. Is there a setup utility program that I need to run? The bios doesn't have much for me to change and it's a bit annoying. When I hit F1 to continue, everything boots up fine. I can't seem to find any manuals or any helpful documentation on this Gateway. Thanks in advance for the help!

Reply 1 of 8, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd make sure that your Bios battery is good and not dead. If the battery is bad then every time you restart your machine it loses the settings.

Reply 2 of 8, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I should have mentioned that the bios battery is brand new. I tested it as well with my meter and it is working. The bios is holding its memory.

Reply 3 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 2 Gateway 2000's 486v33.
One works and the other one has a bios problem.
I hate these Gateway motherboard bios. I put new batteries in them but they are still finicky.
Sometimes they boot up okay and other times they don't.
I had a hard time trying to get the bios to auto-detect the hard-drives.
I am using a WD 540mb hard drives that work fine in one Gateway but will not work in the other gateway.
I just gave up on these Gateway computer and put them away because they just did not work well.
I tried everything from resetting the bios. But I could not flash the bios because it would not take the new ROM file.
So I just put them away in my garage.

Reply 4 of 8, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm...Well sounds like you're saying the bios probably is the problem and not really anything I have set wrong. I thought about trying another IDE controller to see if that would do anything. I guess maybe I should. If anyone else has any info, please chime in. Otherwise I'll report back late after I try another controller.

Reply 5 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, indeed. Phoenix did make shitty 486 BIOSes. I believe a MR-BIOS may exist for some of these old Micron motherboards, but good luck finding it!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 8, by tensi0n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Yes, indeed. Phoenix did make shitty 486 BIOSes. I believe a MR-BIOS may exist for some of these old Micron motherboards, but good luck finding it!

Yeah.......It doesn't like IDE controllers either. Just tried a BusLogic and no dice.

Reply 8 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:

0blivi0n100 also had problems with buildin ide controller https://ancientelectronics.wordpress.com/2018 … x2-66v-desktop/

Yhea, the built in IDE gave me problems at every step. hell, even when I did opt for a separate IDE controller card it still was kind of picky on what CD/HDD drives I used and how they were configured. I ended up running the HDD off a ISA EIDE controller and the CD drive off a VLB SCSI controller card. I'd just go SCSI with this thing if its an option for you. should solve your issues.