VOGONS

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This card is currently configured as secondary. I want it to be primary, but I have no clue about jumper settings and manual is nowhere to be found 🙁

Any help?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For now I discovered that removing the jumper sitting over the oscillator causes controller to throw an 1701 error and no longer detect HDD ("0 Hard Disk" message, while the jumper is on there is "1 Hard Disk" message). When I remove the second jumper (one near the dip switches) or move it to a different set of pins it won't show "1 Hard Disk" message at all).

I guess "Error Initializing Hard Disk Controller 0" comes from the Motherboard BIOS (as it can't find the controller under proper address or something) while "X Hard Disk" or "1701 (0C) Error" messages come from the HDD controller's BIOS...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 2 of 5, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Uhh, a DTC controller 🙁

1701 is totally generic. It just says: Some problem.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/5150_5160/hdd/170 … ssibilities.htm

Edit:
I do not think that the jumpers are intended to be changed.
The DIP switch allows for 16 possibilities, did you try already?

Reply 3 of 5, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would try setting the dip switch to 1 insteadt of 2. You could use a multimeter to figure out if the dip switch is connected to the drives drive select lines (pin 26, 28, 30 and 32).
eisapc

Reply 4 of 5, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried changing DIP switch to 1 and several other combinations - not all of them though (but I will do this). Also I can see HDD has some dip switches as well (perhaps for drive select and termination).

I have no prior experience with MFM drives.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 5, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So it runs!

I found some time to play around with it. I checked all 16 dip switch settings, and I noticed that in some cases error message changes from "Error initializing hard drive controller 0" to "Error encountered initializing hard drive 0".

Bascially changing all jumpers to their opposite positions and setting the HDD as secondary in BIOS did the job.

Damn, this thing is SLOW! It's like having 20MB floppy drive but it maybe caused by the doublespace...

For a change it's nice to have some HDD that have been owned by some computer geek 😉 - autoexec.bat/config.sys is crazy (and it was installed with 286 with just 640kB RAM!), and it's filled with DOS utils and it seems he even wrote some basic programs showing memory map and so on...

Anyway I think it will be a cool item in my future XT build… but I need to repair the XT motherboard first...

I8v8PGb.jpg